SeaTalk - Johnny Wray @ Devonport YC

Currently reading a book called "Dark Sun" about a German guy (Georg Dibbern, "Te Rapunga") who raced Johnny Wray (Ngataki) across to Melbourne and later to Tasmania. Georg had the Missfortune to be incarcerated on Somes Island during both the 1st World war and the 2nd World war. As he disagreed with Nazism he created his own Flag and passport. He and Shane would be soul mates as he mostly relied on the generosity of others to finance his dream / belief that all people could live in peace and harmony. He wrote a book himself called "Quest" which had good reviews at the time. "Dark Sun" is Well worth a read, if you can find a copy.

Veladere, Yes Noel is in there, there is a photo of the crew, 3 Kiwi's, Fred Norris, Noel Tattersfield, (referred to as Tat in the text) and Austin Vaile, Georg Dibbern owner / skipper and Günter Schramm, mate. dated 8th December 1934

Wasn't ted bacon on ngataki as crew I and ended up being let off on the island , must dig the book out again. I managed to get a signed copy from the little old book shop on waiheke in 1999 at the top of the town ,now it's a mall or sorts , and many many other old sailing books as well the guy who owned the shop used to save them for me weakly while I was working there