Navionics Community Edits

Hi All,

I was on a trip to Blackpool, Waiheke recently and noticed on my Navioncs chart there was a wreck icon with information that it came to within 3m of the surface in 9m of water (that is a tall wreck?) and a icon for a port pole marker. (See Picture)

1) I could not see the port marker.

2) The wreck is not on the offiical hydro chart.

The data appears to be one of these community edits.

Has anyone experienced these edits that don't appear to be correct? I thought Navionics validated this stuff?

Cheers

AG

waiheke.jpg

I turn community edits off. I don't trust them. I suspect that some users use symbols other than say a fish to mark fishing spot X. Someone has marked a dangerous wreck with 0 meters water over it bang on top of the scallop bed in Hooks Bay.

Yeah I might have a look and see if there is the option to turn off certain community edits. I like the Bathymetry - but don't trust some of that other crap.

I will leave i the fishing spots - though at the moment rusty hooks with nothing on them just about do the job!!

I would hope Navionics would have some sort of validation going on behind the scenes?

AG

Gotta be honest: I just looked at that guy's edits/'wreaks' - he had three in a line heading south from Te Wharau Bay.  Either he doesn't know what he's doing or as someone has rightfully said he's 'disguising' his cray pots - and I say f*ck him.  I like the community edits - but this is abuse of a shared resource.  So I've deleted them.  I have no idea as to whether this deletes them just for me or for everyone.  There are no wreaks there.