Orere Point clay

I’ve flown over the gulf extensively and there’s one part that intrigues me.

Just south of Orere Point is a group of cliffs that send a swath of clay coloured water as far as the eye can see up through Tamaki Strait and Waiheke Passage. Much more than any other harbour or river.

If you’re ever wondering why the Gulf water isn’t as clear as Barrier or the Bay then here’s your main culprit and it’s not caused by man, or is it?

If they ever built a new port there and isolated those cliffs, then Gulf water clarity would improve cinsiderably.

4B0DF6CC-C96D-4D9B-8E87-7293AABD3313.jpeg

0591E3EA-7D62-42C8-844E-91DA32C65CB1.jpeg

• Upvote 1

I can't believe those cliffs don't have a sediment and erosion control plan, with full silt ponds and bunds.

Anyway Puff, you are clearly wrong about these cliffs contributing to silt in the Gulf. Everyone knows silt can only come from land developments. Those evil money makers that build all those houses we live in. That is the only possible cause of silt in the whole universe. According to those that issue Resource Consents.

• Upvote 1

Fish you may want to sound viscous about the silt run off but the reality on the ground in this part of the world was plenty evidenced by the recent coastal flooding and resulting land run off.

Drove this coast just after the last bad weather and clay run off was everywhere mainly generated by slippage lost to the sea.

Have a close look at Puffs Ariel photos and note that the areas most effected are cleared land.

Fish you may want to sound viscous about the silt run off but the reality on the ground in this part of the world was plenty evidenced by the recent coastal flooding and resulting land run off.

Drove this coast just after the last bad weather and clay run off was everywhere mainly generated by slippage lost to the sea.

Have a close look at Puffs Ariel photos and note that the areas most effected are cleared land.

Think you might have missed my point there, but not to worry.

That silt is not from cleared land, its a natural part of coastal geomorphology. The sea cliffs are falling down...