Yestedays wind

I had arranged to take some friends out for the day yesterday but checked the forecast in the morning and it said 20 gusting 30.

Then I checked the coastguard app for north cape and it was blowing 30 up there, I worked my way down through all of the stations and everywhere including Tiri and the Channel were blowing 30+ or close to it yet bean rock was 8 knots at 7am.

I canned the idea of heading out as thought that 30 knots would be down in the harbour in a few hours but it never really got over 20 knots all day.

Which was pretty much exactly what windy had predicted from last Tuesday or Wednesday.

I still thought it unusual for there to be wind a few miles north and not down in the harbour, was it because it was coming out of the east?

I had arranged to take some friends out for the day yesterday but checked the forecast in the morning and it said 20 gusting 30.

Then I checked the coastguard app for north cape and it was blowing 30 up there, I worked my way down through all of the stations and everywhere including Tiri and the Channel were blowing 30+ or close to it yet bean rock was 8 knots at 7am.

I canned the idea of heading out as thought that 30 knots would be down in the harbour in a few hours but it never really got over 20 knots all day.

Which was pretty much exactly what windy had predicted from last Tuesday or Wednesday.

I still thought it unusual for there to be wind a few miles north and not down in the harbour, was it because it was coming out of the east?

I would say yes, easterlies or thereabouts are often much stronger out of the harbour. 

Yesterday was baffling indeed. We went out Fri eve planning to rush home Sun morning at the latest before the ‘big blow’ but it never materialised.

We set sail from Rakino / Mototapu area to Gulf Harbour area at lunchtime and the now casting was giving Tiri as 20+ and Chl Is as 30+ from SE. I was expecting a great sail once we cleared the islands. But we never saw more than 12-15 and nearer GH it died down to under 10kts so we started motoring like all the others around us.

I’m confident any wind reading at Tiri with E in it over-reads by 10kts at least.