things that go bump in the night

A few years ago, my dear friend Rod "Rocky" Moody was buried at sea off Suva Harbour entrance from his beloved Quinquereme, as she drifted on a gorgeously pacific ocean encircled by a flotilla bearing family and Royal Suva Yacht Club mourners.

Rocky had, with his family, sailed out to New Zealand in the forty footer and had become a popular pillar of Suva business and of the RSYC in particular.

Sadly, I was unable to attend but was sent a video - and what a remarkable video it was.

Rocky had been sewn into a stout headsail which had been weighted with some heavy ground tackle. To the accompaniment of John Masefield's immortal words -

"I must, down to the sea again, the lonely sea and the sky etc..." ,

- and shrouded in the New Zealand Red Duster, he slid off Quinquereme's foredeck into the 300 metre depths.

No sooner had the assembled mourners finished applauding, not the fact of, but the most moving manner of Rocky's maritime departure, when the star of the show resurfaced, indeed shot out of the water like a Polaris submarine missile.

Something had gone wrong with the calculations.

A couple of extra anchors and some chain were hastily collected from the accompanying fleet and Rocky finally went off to his valhalla.

I remember when that article of Squids first appeared. I don't know if the laws differ or are similar all around the world, but the US have some very stringent laws for Burial at sea, but several States have their own slight variations.

Miami requires the burial to be in 600ft minimum, but Florida require 1800ft of depth.

Their Federal Laws requires the body be in a coffin of noncorrosive metal, that weighs four times the individual’s body weight.

The coffin also must be secured top, bottom and lengthwise. They recommend the use of stainless steel chains. The idea is to make sure it keeps the casket closed. apparently ths happened before, where the lids pop open.

Because of a casket’s weight, burials at sea typically require a crane-equipped boat.

I dunno, I reckon you could save a heck of a lot of money if you just hired the Mafia. They just use concrete gummies.

Archived