bowmen united

sometimes the sheets and braces take 10 minutes to get done...i know this because i ask for it while sitting on the rail and it is confirmed to be understood, still when i go to plug it in they are tight. sometimes pre loaded on the winch ready for full noise so they ease a slack rope with 4 turns on the winch and get 50 million over rides.

in the past i have run back and let things off myself including the topping lift.

Generally sorted things myself as i didn't trust any-one else. and anyway going to a hoist at the top mark only one person should be moving around the boat and the rest of the crew should stay on the rail until about a boat, boat and a half before the mark.

Had that problem on the farr 38.

It never ceased to amaze me how often people could tune out sitting on the rail and not pay attention to what was going around them.

Wasn't so much of a problem on champosa as the mainsheet was well aft of the jammers and cleats for the brace and sheet and the main-trimmer was in more danger of being whacked by the skipper for not triming properly.

If some-ones buttock was resting on a sheet as i took the kite forward it usually got kicked.

p761731623.jpg

Murky wrote:

You would expect a strong foredeck contingent on a boat like that as it has been built with two bows! :lol:

On a swelteringly hot and still night off The Fijiian hotel I took the anchor warp aft and hung by the sterm, hoping that that varnished 'bubble' would scoop some air into the boat.

In the morning a very earnest American rowed over to quietly advise Castanet's obvious newby sailor that one should anchor by the bow and that to do otherwise is rather bad form. I thanked him profusely for the advice and haven't anchored by the stern since.

When I was at Uni in Otago I used to jump on any TY going. One time sailing with Ash Paul on a hot N25 I was bow. Put the kite up after dancing around salmon guts all over the deck. The kite went up sideways and I was mortified. The call comes from the back. "Ahh yeah - the tapes are on the wrong way around. Forgot about that.

However there was also the late call on a kite peel in a Gisborne harbour race. I got that wrong and ended up with a sideways kite and the big chute without a head. We aren't all perfect.

First time I ever got on a keelboat after sailing dinghies I put the sheet and brace through the pulpit, when the kite set it damn near lifted the pulpit off the foredeck.

I've done the sideways thing as well.

Ponui channel going around waiheke.

Trev got a bit excited when that happened that one. he needed to have some calming fluid afterwards.

Bowmen rule

End of discussion

A Bowman has Spoken

Concur totally. Go the Brotherhood :thumbup:

Love and kiss's

A bowmen at heart but with occasional flirtations at being flat arsed lazy sh*t of a driver.

Disclaimer - The above statement will cease to exist if Toles reads it.... don't want you getting any ideas big boy :lol:

Hmmmmm well IF I can make the pointy end of The Mud Hut sink.....YOU on the front Of SJ isn't exactly going to be a hydrodynamic feature...... That said...not many visits from the F up fairy while you've been up there!

I was quite pleased on the weekend that I managed to make an acceptable (but slow) bowman again. No serious F ups was apparently a redeeming feature.

Many true words spoken... by many "retired bowmen"

It is easy for the garden bar staff down the back, make the front half of the boat look less than adequate. Not so much the other way round.

Only 7 years on the bow colJ, another 10 & you'll have served your apprenticeship. :D

We are short of a bowman for the upcoming 727 Auckland champs, (Sunday 17th) if anyone wants to come out of retirement. Slow around the foredeck is fine, you’ll fit right in with the rest of the crew!

If I can swing a baby sitter Leigh...I'll drop you a line.

It would be good to be amongst the action.

Although....You'd probably be faster with less rugged unit than me standing on the bow.... (but think of all that meat on the rail uphill!).

Archived