bowmen united

Bowmen rule

End of discussion

A Bowman has Spoken

Concur totally. Go the Brotherhood :thumbup:

Love and kiss's

A bowmen at heart but with occasional flirtations at being flat arsed lazy sh*t of a driver.

Disclaimer - The above statement will cease to exist if Toles reads it.... don't want you getting any ideas big boy :lol:

I'd be more than happy to do bow again, but every time I wander forward of the mast AA runs past , yelling at me to take the helm - something about bow down trim not being fast.

We can sometimes see the bowman's mouth moving up in adventureland when he is looking/glaring (longingly?) at fantasy land - we generally just presume he is apologising for being a little tardy so tend to tune it out....

Strangest moment I had during my bowman days was doing a gybe during a spinnaker rumrace on Mustang Sally (Awesome boat BTW)

We started the gybe, I swapped the pole over perfectly and looked up the rig to check everything was looking good when I noticed the forestay doing a massive sag out the side of the boat and realised the mast was going forward as the new masthead backstay hadn't been pulled on (with an inline rig).

At this point I thought it prudent to step out from in front of the mast and notice a huge hole opening up at the back of the mast where it came through the deck. They got the backstay on just as it broke.

Well it broke into two bits but landed on itself and the rig stayed up. I started scream to blow the kite halyard and everyone looked at me like I was crazy as none of them had noticed the broken mast!

I took a few trips by different people from the back of the boat to believe me it had broken at which point I was left to drop the kite as no one wanted to come up to help me!

Well it broke into two bits but landed on itself and the rig stayed up. I started scream to blow the kite halyard and everyone looked at me like I was crazy as none of them had noticed the broken mast!

I took a few trips by different people from the back of the boat to believe me it had broken at which point I was left to drop the kite as no one wanted to come up to help me!

Cockpit Crew 1: Just as well I was quick enough to get that backstay on before anything happened to the rig.

Cockpit Crew 2: Yeah good job. Anyway if anything had happened, we could always have blamed it on the foredeck again. It would have fallen into their part of the boat.

Both: Hahahaha. F*cking bowmen.

I've plenty of bow work on in the last 5 years of sailing on this harbour. Most worrying experiences are on the boats that are looking for a new bowman, you figure out why after the first half hour of being on the pointy end with someone swearing at you!

Still remember getting pinned between the forestay and side of the pulpit on G'net after the new runner was a little slow coming on, can't believe the rig stayed in the boat!

Sailed on a boat last summer for the squadron series, the skipper screamed at me something rotten, but always apologised after. And that's why bowmen make good boat owners!!

And that's why bowmen make good boat owners!!

and good cockpit hands as they whats happening at the sharpend, know when to let the guys, sheets, foreguy topping lift, halyards go slack, easied, tightened.

Nothing better as you go forward with the kite bag and the guy & sheet have enough slack in them to go around the forestay ready to be clipped on.

I had a particularly stroppy foredeck union on Castanet in the 1970s. Here's one of their meetings.

I think that could be the boat a mate of mine brought last year. Was it up the Tamaki for a while do you know? I know he brought a old school 30 odd footer called Castanet, which sort of fits the boat in the Pic.

Look at these loser blunt end boat dudes trying to lay the cock-ups on the foredeck. Get a grip you lazy good for nothing buggers. If it wasn't for your hard working, multi tasking, verbal diarrhoea absorbing, often the best looking dude aboard foredeck you'd be still finishing Simrad R1 :lol:

Oh I'm so conflicted right now. 1/2 of me want to tell the other half to just shut the f**k up and as I've already gybed the bow, as per the call, so am I planning on gybeing the stern anytime soon? and the other 1/2 really wants to ask me why the kite's still in it's bag knot up the bloody mast and whot the f**k am I doing up there, baking a frecking cake? :? :lol:

i had a particularly stroppy foredeck union on Castanet in the 1970s. Here's one of their meetings.

You would expect a strong foredeck contingent on a boat like that as it has been built with two bows! :lol:

Most boat owners have been bowmen (and women - with a deferential nod to BB and Zoe) It's why we buy boats, so that we can pay the bills while everyone sails on our boats for free.

.... and I'm still up the front

...at least they're nice enough to not ask if it's being done today

Sloop -"Nothing better as you go forward with the kite bag and the guy & sheet have enough slack in them to go around the forestay ready to be clipped on."

Surely you are teasing! When has that ever happened?

They have to re-invent the wheel back there every time the brace & sheet needs to go around the forestay. :D

Sloop -"Nothing better as you go forward with the kite bag and the guy & sheet have enough slack in them to go around the forestay ready to be clipped on."

Surely you are teasing! When has that ever happened?

They have to re-invent the wheel back there every time the brace & sheet needs to go around the forestay. :D

Slacko it happened every time I was in the backend :thumbup: , when I was allowed to come aft of the mast. :wink:

Archived