Golden globe vs Vende globe

So are the modern boats safer?

Are we seeing a greater proportion of dropouts?

For a while some time ago there was all sorts of talk about how the modern boats were being built too light, too close to the edge etc and how that was impacting safety.

We basically have a two armed experiment going on here; on one side we have the vendee giving us safety and success data every 4 years for the high tech everything approach, and now we have the first irritation of the revamped GG giving us data for a similar thing (solo nonstop circumnavigation) using 50y old tech albeit with some new build “old” boats in the mix and better weather forecasting being radioed to the boats than 50y ago.
Can we already draw any statistically relevant conclusions?

I'm going with modern is much safer, but, the differences and reasons why are not related to the boats themselves.

The GG has had major issues almost entirely due to a lack of modern weather forecasting. I'm talking grib files and weather routing. All of the abandonment's in the Indian / Southern ocean could have been avoided or substantially mitigated if they were allowed weather routing. They'd also be a sh*t load faster, so several of the boats than pulled out in the South Atlantic would probably still be in the game (not parking in windless holes).

Yes, the GG boats have limited speed to out maneuver a fast developing storm, but they can still maneuver if they aren't completely blind on the weather front.

Which brings me to the second point as to why modern is safer - speed.

Especially for the VG boats now, they can travel as fast (or almost as fast) as the weather systems. So they can route for optimum weather, and basically never sail through a storm. 

Case in point, Alex Thompson's concerns around the routing for the Route du Rhum, requiring no choice but to sail through a storm.

With speed, the VG are spending substantially less time at sea, which by definition is safer. They are in the Southern Ocean for a much shorter period, and are home before you know it. There is clearly far higher loads on these boats, but I'd argue there is a lot less wear.

The GG boats are great for what they are. If they were allowed the modern tech in the package, auto-pilots, sat comms, weather routing, hell even steroes / iPad for movies, relaxation of the crew etc. Not to mention water makers, modern food. Cabin heaters? (are they allowed? they are heavily restricted in the diesel they can carry).

Solar, modern batteries, the list goes on. All of these would increase safety on a 50 yr old design capable of 5 knts max.

The conclusion is boats have come a long way in 50 years. Solid heavy and slow is not safe in most conditions. Particularly heavy reaching and running the old school was to drag a load of sh*t out the back and slow the boat down as they were uncontrollable at speed. But if you can keep at or near the same speed as the waves on a modern boat they are a lot safer... unless of course you hit something :)

Fish, I agree with most of your observations, but some of your details re GGR are wrong.

They have stereos, and Mark Sinclair is an avid listener, Cat Stevens Matthew and Son is one of his favourites!
They also have solar and batteries.

Mark Slats has oars, and rows when he gets becalmed, but this doesn't work when there is any sea or chop.

They have quite a lot of diesel, and are allowed to motor for a small number of hours during the race. (20 hours maybe?). Most of them are saving their fuel for the doldrums in the Atlantic on the way home.

Fish, I agree with most of your observations, but some of your details re GGR are wrong.

They have stereos, and Mark Sinclair is an avid listener, Cat Stevens Matthew and Son is one of his favourites!

They also have solar and batteries.

Mark Slats has oars, and rows when he gets becalmed, but this doesn't work when there is any sea or chop.

They have quite a lot of diesel, and are allowed to motor for a small number of hours during the race. (20 hours maybe?). Most of them are saving their fuel for the doldrums in the Atlantic on the way home.

And herein lies the confusion with the GGR as to what the actual rules are.

My understanding is in principle, they are only allowed to carry what technology was available in 1968.

So with stereo's, yes - but only record players or cassette tapes, so no iPod's / MP3 players etc. So they are effectively limited to how much music / range of music / audio books they can carry due to the size and storage of cassette tapes, where as if they were allowed an MP3 player, they would have in theory a limitless range of music and audio books.

I do get confused around the solar and battery situation. I am aware they carry solar, and half of them seem to have Watt & Sea generators, which def weren't around in '68. They obviously have limited power draw, not being allowed any electronics (accept weekly sat phone calls) and no autopilots.

Are they allowed fridges / freezers? that would obviously expand the range of fresh / non-canned food they could carry. Was it Chichester that grey sprouts in order to keep his vitamin intake up? And on the food question, are they allowed supplements that are around now and weren't around in 68?

Even if they were allowed water makers. I get the impression half the time these guys are mucking around trying to catch rain water. One boat issued a distress cause he was running out of water (it didn't rain so he couldn't catch any or something).

I can understand the logic of carrying oars, esp when weight isn't an issue, but then good luck trying to row around the world. There has been many cases though where engineless yachts have been wrecked drifting in a calm, assuming his yacht some how ended up engineless. But that is a major contrast with the Vendee. No reason to carry oars on one of them.

I don't suppose you have a link to the rules that is shorter than a 72 page document? I went looking once but lost interest fairly quickly, think I got buried in the NoR.