2011 Pacific Quarter Ton Championships & Reunion

NOTICE OF RACE

1 RULES

1.1 The regatta will be governed by the rules as defined in The Racing Rules of Sailing.

1.2 The rulings of the scrutinizing committee constituted by PYBC for this regatta using as guidelines the International Quarter Ton regulations to determine the eligibility of boats to enter, shall apply.

1.3 The Yachting New Zealand Safety Regulations Category 4 plus Life Lines to Category 3 shall apply.

1.4 All boats with a lifting centre plate type keel shall be fitted with a lock-down device which securely locks the centre plate or keel fully down and this lock shall be engaged and secured at all times while the boat is on the water.

1.5 Safety checks of any boat may be made at any time.

1.6 For protests where only a Rule of Part 2 or Rule 31 is alleged to have been broken, an arbitration hearing may be offered prior to any formal hearing.

2 ADVERTISING

Boats may be required to display advertising chosen and supplied by the organising authority, and may carry their own advertising so long as it doesn't conflict with any regatta sponsor.

3 ELIGIBILITY AND ENTRY

3.1 (A) The regatta is open to all boats of Quarter Ton class style circa 1973 -1982 that comply with spirit of the original Quarter Ton or class rules including spars and appendages ( the scrutinizing committee will vet all entries ) YNZ registration in the name of the current owner is required.

3.2 Eligible boats may enter by completing the entry form and sending it, together with the required fee, to The Organising Authority by 1700 hrs Wednesday 23rd February 2011. Forms available from PYBC or downloaded from www.pybc.org.nz downloads/ quarter ton

3.3 Late entries will be accepted up to 1500 hrs Tuesday 1st March 2011 as long as it is submitted together with the relevant entry fee And the additional late entry fee.

3.4 To be eligible to compete in this event each entrant and crew members shall be a financial member of a club recognised by the entrant national authority.

4 FEES

Required fees are as follows:

Entry Fee: $50 per boat Olympic series Late Entry Fee: Entry Fee plus $50

$70 per boat for the 2 Handed 3 Legged series

Both series $100

5 SCHEDULES

5.1 Registration and Briefing:

(a) Briefing: 1700hrs on Friday 4th March 2011.

5.2 Measurement and inspection: The PYBC reserves the right scrutinise any yacht eligibility

5.3 Dates of racing:

Saturday 5th March 2011 up to 3 Olympic Courses - Browns Is. area

Sunday 6th March 2011 up to 3 Olympic Courses - Browns Is. area

Friday 11th March 2011 Leg 1, 2 handed series to Ponui Is

Saturday 12th March 2011 Leg 2, 2 handed series to Kawau and sponsored beach BBQ

Sunday 13th March 2011 Leg 3, 2 handed series

5.4 Number of races:

(a) Nine Races are scheduled.

(B) Races may be sailed Back to Back.

© A maximum of 3 races will be sailed per day.

5.5 The scheduled time of the warning signal for the first race on Olympic days is 1025 hrs.

6 MEASUREMENTS

6.1 (a) Measurements declaration that the yacht was rated to the Quarter Ton rule (including spars keel and rudders) or its sister ship (e.g. Farr 727, Harmonic 24, S&S24, Magic Bus, etc ) 6.1 (B) A safety declaration is to be completed at registration. Safety checks may be made on any boat at any time during the event.

6.2 Boats shall not use any sail unless it has been certified as complying with the Yacht's class rules:

(a) by the organising authority for the Class

(B) by a measurer appointed by the Class's (e.g. 727, Harmonic 24 etc) representatives' and the PYBC regatta committee;

© or in accordance with this notice of race.

7 SAILING INSTRUCTIONS

The sailing instructions will be available on receipt of entry.

8 VENUE

The Regatta will be sailed in Auckland Harbour and Hauraki Gulf based at the Panmure Yacht & Boating Club. Kings Rd. Panmure.

9 THE COURSES

The courses to be sailed will be Triangle / Windward Leeward and the 3 legs of the 2 handed series

10 SCORING

10.1 Races will be scored on elapsed time and general handicap.

The General Handicap will be a formula-derived performance handicap that adjusts after each race

based on the performances for that race and the prior races, if any.

10.2 Four (4) races are required to be completed to constitute the Olympic series.

10.3 All races count for the 2 handed series

Points. Low points

Olympic Races 1 pt / place each race,

2 handed series 1 pt /place overall aggregate

11 PRIZES

Prizes will be given at the Prize giving for the 2 handed series BBQ on Monday 14th March from 1800hrs at PYBC

12 DISCLAIMER OF LIABILITY

Competitors participate in the regatta entirely at their own risk. See rule 4, Decision to Race. The

Organizing authority will not accept any liability for material damage or personal injury or death

sustained in conjunction with or prior to, during, or after the regatta.

13 INSURANCE

Each participating boat shall be insured with valid third-party liability insurance with a minimum

cover of NZ $250,000 or the equivalent.

14 FURTHER INFORMATION

For further information please contact

Panmure Yacht & Boating Club

Panmure Auckland NZ

info@pybc.org.nz

ww.pybc.org.nz

09 5702318

Panmure Yacht & Boating Club

Quarter Ton Reunion Regatta 2011

5-6th March 2011 and 11 -13th March 2011

Organising Authority:

Panmure Yacht & Boating Club In conjunction with: Up to 26 ft Assoc

Skipper/ Owners Name: ..............................................................................................

Postal Address: ...........................................................................................................

Tel Work: ..................................Tel Home: ................................. Mobile: .................................

Email..............................................................................................

Designer/ Class ....................................... LOA .................................................

Hull Colour.................................. YNZ SAIL NUMBER ......................................................

Olympic Series Entry $50

Two Handed Three legged Series Entry $70

Combined entry $50 + $70 less disc $100 Inc GST ............................... enclosed.

Declaration:

I agree to be bound by the Racing Rules of Sailing and all other rules that govern this event. I understand that yacht racing has inherent risks and dangers that are beyond the control of the organizing authority and the associated yacht clubs. I understand that neither the organising authority or the associated yacht clubs and their officers, members and servants nor other persons assisting with the conduct of the regatta accept any responsibility in respect of any injury or loss to person or property that may be sustained.

I agree to the use of my photograph(s) and other relevant information in any event publicity and in the ongoing promotion of New Zealand yachting. I agree to the Organising Authority and Yachting New Zealand holding the above information for the general administration and well-being of the sport, and for them to retain, use and disclose the information to affiliated organisations and any other persons or organisations that Yachting New Zealand believes will further the interests and objectives of Yachting New Zealand. I acknowledge my right to access to and correction of this information. The consent is given in accordance with the Privacy Act 1993.

Skippers Signature: ___________________________________________________________

Date: _____________________

Entries close 1700 hrs Wednesday 23rd February 2011

So I'm planning on getting an entry submitted somewhere in the next week- how much other interest is there for this event?

It would be fantastic to see all the 727's come out- whether your the scratch boat or not. this is going to be a handicap based event- so things should be evened out somewhat!

Did anyone buy "Quantel" boat that was mentioned as someone having interest in her?

Would be cool to see some boats come out of the woodwork.

Who else is planning on being a starter for this? Lets start a tally of punters commited to making this a cracker of a small boat event. Theres some history in it....

Looks like we will have two past winners facing off- Black fun from 1977 and Smokey Joe from 1980.

Anyone else have other thoughts to add? Any Nostalgia to share?

Toles

post-1784-141887169852.jpg

post-1784-141887169855_thumb.jpg

post-1784-141887169864_thumb.jpg

Come across a "something else" that you had to get?

I was looking forward to another tusstle next year with you!!

Fast boat....or has it been the driver?

Nope that can't be right- my crew are constantly tell me I'm slowing the boat down!

Must be the boat.

I'd like to think it had a little bit to do with the driver. Definately has a lot to do with boat & the crew.

We're just looking for something a bit bigger, havent found anything yet.

If she doesn't sell we'll be out there for the 1/4 ton reunion regatta for sure.

If she does, we might see if we can charter something. it is shaping up to be a great regatta.

The magic bus ex Premier Plastics 1980 (Qantel)

is back in the water are antifouling still available it's in the mooring area at Panmure. It's looking for a new owner

There is also a cruising Deck 727 looking for a new owner

and the Atkinson 25 that was on the beach at Beachaven, was salvaged and sold by tender last week. I think her orginal name may have been Honky Dory

Demon Tweaker that was on Trade me has been sold to Tauranga

OK we would like to see the interest turn into entries so the shore crew can put the event into top gear for March 2011

Entry forms can be downloaded from the club website pybc.org.nz see downloads

E or ph me john@sparloft.co.nz or 09 5793923

I am here catching up on finishing quarterback, Davidson 25 Motorsailer (pelorus)

Update Jan 18th

Qantel (whiting 25) has a new owner

Panmure is up and running after the Xmas break 09 5702318

and ready to recieve entries for March, or call in and see us. Club race night is Thursdays. Racing starts off the clubhouse at 1830hrs house opens at 4pm dinning room from 6pm

Interest shown from Overdraft (727), Smokey Joe (Magic Bus)

Black Fun, Rebel Yell, all forms are on the web site under downloads pybc.org.nz.

Has there been any descision on how handicaps will be determined?

Boats like black fun, with there recent modifications, will have significant advantages over stock standard whitings & Farrs.

Newsletter: January 2011 PYBC Quarter Ton Cup Reunion Regatta

Over the past months the following boats have expressed interest in the forthcoming event

Diefledermaus, Qantel, Smokey Joe, Strawberry Letter,

Black Fun, Sea Fun, Skulduggery – Warwick 747, Dubious Status - Lidgard, Corten - Spencer 25, Rebel Yell- Atkinson 25, Swamp Dog - Mull 26, Gooroo - Atkinson 25, Mumbo Jumbo, Overdraft, Delerium, Green Pepper, Yotasorus - Farr 727s.

We have also located the winner of the 1980 event "Bullit" still racing in Tahiti. Hot Number is in New Caledonia, and Clockwork was last seen in Singapore.

Thanks to Bob Nevill and Anatole Perry of the UpTo26’Club for their assistance with contacting owners.

Entry Forms are available from the Panmure Yacht & Boating Club or the club’s website Downloads section, or ph John Bennett 09 579 3923 to have them e mailed. The club has its own Haulout yard and cradles with very competitive rates if any contestant needs to store their boat or do any maintenance to compete in the regatta. If out of town owners need a mooring during the series, please make contact so we can find one for you.

Now is the time to lodge an entry so boat inspections can be arranged. PYBC is contacting sponsors from 1980 this week to seek their support, also race control mark boats and a protest panel.

Reunion get-together 1800hrs Sat 5th March 2011

Please take this note as an invite to attend, we are also contacting sailors from the 1980 events. You are all welcome so please pass this message on. A small cover charge will apply along with a cash bar, if you are going to attend please RSVP to info@pybc.org.nz

If you have any questions re the series i.e. does your boat qualify?, please make make contact so it can be inspected as we would like to see as many boats out as possible.

If it is a class ¼ ton type as follows Davidson 26- Bashful mould, Whiting 25 -Magic Bus Mk 1&2, Wagstaff -Harmonic 24 or Gumdigger, S&S 24, Farr- 727 or Fantizpants plus any one off design that had a ¼ Ton rating certificate in the 1973-82 IOR period.

This event will be handicapped by the PYBC Yacht Systems race programme, with placings given for Line and HCP also if 5 or more one design class boats e.g 727, compete then placings will be scored.

The sailing committee for this event is meeting on Sunday 13th to finalise the sailing instructions, currently there are 3 paid up so SI will be forwarded next week to then

Bevan Woolley and Don Grayson have agreed to be members of the protest panel if required. Don was a Jury member for the world in 1980.

If you are considering the event please let us know so we can plan to host you, or better still send your entry in.

If boats need to be hauled out for cleaning and painting etc we have full yard facilities at the club, with special rates for competitors

Would be great if more boats can get behind this event....

All the boats are going to be rated to a handicap- so even if you don't have a crack boat- you could do ok.

Whats the word from the 727's out there.... this should be an event that all the 727's should be registered for.

If we can get everyone to GRUNT UP NOW and register, it will provide some certainty for us all that we'll have a great field....and the dock talk can go up a notch too....

Toles.

quarter pint is entering, or atleast im told im doing bow on it that weekend when im not sitting at max beam.

struggling to find crew for the 2 handed 3 legged. the owner and another are going to other peoples weddings and we havnt run the idea past Em yet.

hope none of ya run ya masthead gear. longer boats with more hp go faster than the short stumpy 727s

quarter pint is entering, or atleast im told im doing bow on it that weekend when im not sitting at max beam.

struggling to find crew for the 2 handed 3 legged. the owner and another are going to other peoples weddings and we havnt run the idea past Em yet.

hope none of ya run ya masthead gear. longer boats with more hp go faster than the short stumpy 727s

One of the nice - or not so nice- depending on which boat your on rules for the regatta is that if the boat came out and was originally rated for fractional gear....you must run fractional gear for the regatta.

So Smokey Joe will be running fractional gear only... :(

In someways thats a bit of a relief, cause we have HUGE wipe outs when it gets windy with the masthead kite on!

I blame it on the trimmers.....but then according to them I'm a w@nker.

:crazy:

I'm looking forward to it...should be a fun few days.

I'm sure you'll find someone who will want to be 2nd up for the 2H3L race....that will be a fantastic weekend away.

Toles

Archived