phase 2 spinnaker

is this kite too big for my pII?

its off an old junior cherub and on a 1750mm pole. the halyard block is roughly 650mm above the forstay. you may be able to see a black mark on the rig, that is the forstay termination point and the halyard block for the smaller kite, which is roughly the size of a tea towel

post-10268-141887169848.jpg

The old class kite that they had on Phase IIs for a while, were a Sunburst kite with a longer luff. Probably about a 4m luff.

The kite in the photo looks like a pretty good size. Not too big.

she's now probably the most turbod phase 2 around. 450mm carbon forstay prod then 1600mm genny prod. getting a custom bigger headsail made for her and on the prowl for a jav kite

Dyneema :thumbup:

Vectran :thumbdown:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hero Parade fluro Pink with cute little yellow fairies and pastel blue bunny rabbits on it I think for you Mr Smartarse ;)

Halyard was 11mts, correct?

I was told by a very good sailmaker that Vectran was superior to Spectra/Dyneema on halyards.

On my mast the distance between the head of the sail and halyard lock is so small that the stretch/creep is minimal so I have dyneema anyway...

Yes and No BS.

For fixed halyards I'd say yes due to no creep. On kites and the like knot so, all most a why bother.

Main differences -

Vectran is slightly heavier than the other 2. Strip the buggers and that solves that.

Current commonly used Spectra has better abrasion resistance than current commonly used Dyneema. Knot usually a biggie.

Next to nothing in price with Dyneema and Vectran but Spectra is the cheapest of the 3 at the moment.

Spectra is the weakest at the moment.

Most use Dyneema even if they call it Spectra. Usually due to 'A mate told me.....'. Sorry but your mate usually isn't right.

All 3 really should be coated to make them last and keep the strength up longer. We see a lot that isn't. If it's white and fluffy it's either knot coated or has chafe issues. Any Spectra or Dyneema that isn't pure white probably is coated. Vectran is a light fawn colour uncoated.

Heat set Verse knot. If used in a straight line and knot bend a lot i.e. shrouds, use the heat set. For halyards and applications where the rope goings around a block or the like a lot it's best to stay away from the heat set. Heat setting Dyneema dramatically, and that word is used specifically, opens the rope to flex fatigue i.e. it'll crap out a LOT faster than non-heat set. Next to no ropes use heat set cores but heat set is available in NZ. Armares Superround, Hampidjens Dynex and Donaghys Ocean 12 all come in heat set and knot versions. Heat setting does increase the strengths a bit but at a cost.

# - The 'at the moment' comments are due to at the moment the most commonly found Dyneema grade is higher than the most commonly found Spectra grade. There are top end grades, higher than 'the most commonly found' of both out there, if you are willing to pay for it. The main differences are knot so much in strength, even if they are a bit higher, as they are in creep characteristics i.e. less of it.

Now when you talk Chineema.... :lol: The knock-off coming out of guess where. There is some of that in NZ at the moment. Very wobbly in performance but generally well below even Spectra. So if you see any real sharp priced Dyneema ropes it may pay to check just why. As a FYI both Donaghys and Fineline have sussed Chineema and have both said 'Sorry, we aren't going there. Way too inconsistent to make us happy'. Both use 100% genuine Dyneema, 90% of which is SK75. Use a little 60 in some fringe products next to none of you will ever see or need. Donaghys also use Spectra in their SpectraSpeed range.

Also watch for some sharp priced polyester 'racing braid', using the term very generically. There is some in NZ at the moment that has a plasticised paper core. The core does nothing what so ever hence all the strength is the cover only. In good racing braids the cover and the core take approx. 50% of the load each.

Actually there are a lot of ropes being sold at the moment that aren't what they are being touted as or have little or no UV protection added, something ropes here really do need to have if they are to last more than a year or 2.

Now go harass some poor unsuspecting rope seller. You'll probably now know more than them :) :)

just whiped up a set of alloy spreaders so she'll be ready for racing this weekend. and put some of those new fashionable jib fairleads that arent on tracks on it. i think that brings the total up to about 17 ropes and lines the crewman gets to play with

i sail/live in whangaparaoa. and i dont think she would be eligable for class racing now, especially cause of the prod and all the extra deck fittings she seems to have acquired

ah well. i'll take her out for a blast tomorrow and sea how long it takes for the prodto come off or the stick to come down. you coming out tomorrow gavin? bring a camera :thumbup:

Perhaps take some more photos of her before you take her out JH?

Give you something to remember her by and a pattern from which to rebuild her...

Good luck - quite like to see some photos of prod and sailing.

Go hard JH.

EE

Where/when are you sailing? I am ordering some Phase 2 masts and want to know if I should add one for you with the Rotorua Nationals coming up in March

I think you were being wound up JH. Not like you to miss it!!

Archived