New J-boat at HMB this week

Boatworks

We will all know how well it goes soon enough. the owner is surpose to be back in nz early next week, and the doyle guys will be itching to give it a shake down in nz

Nice. Shame about the wheel. Quite narrow like a Ross. Isn't this slow upwind?

I think you can get it with a tiller too. Its a bit like a Young 11 with 500kg taken out of the hull and stuck in the bulb plus a nice carbon stick... its gonna be fast.

BTW: Narrow = fast upwind (less wetted area)

Nice. Shame about the wheel. Quite narrow like a Ross. Isn't this slow upwind?

I think you can get it with a tiller too. Its a bit like a Young 11 with 500kg taken out of the hull and stuck in the bulb plus a nice carbon stick... its gonna be fast.

BTW: Narrow = fast upwind (less wetted area)

Why are Youngs, Elliots, BBW (General Lee) so beamy aft then? I thought it was to get more righting moment from the crew? I also thought wetted area would be more of an issue downwind. I would have thought wetted area would lose out to righting moment upwind.

Happy to be educated though!! :D :D

pm me when your next in town and i'll show you. A heck of a lot easyer than trying to explain. you've got to think heeled waterlines and shifting the centre of bouancy outboard away from the centreline and thus creating lever arm. you will also be very surprised how narrow the young waterlines are.

an extreme xample with the mini transat showing a nice not fat heeled waterline and how far the keel is off centre creating even more leverage than canting alone

post-234-141887170617_thumb.jpg

Thanks FNG. I think I get it. So when a wider (flared) hull heels, it gives greater righting moment because it pushes the keel away from the waterline, creating a moment?

Hence the reason for the wide beam and flare. Have I got that right?

So I still don't get how a skinny boat gets more leverage. Must be thick..

So isn't the new J boat a bit conservative in this aspect? Don't earlier Ross boats suffer upwind as well due to this?

I will PM you when I get back. Thanks for the lesson!

Sounds about right, but drop the word flared. its all about the sailing water plains.

the J boat may be conservative in this respect, having seen it my thoughst go to IRC jason kerr hulls with a phrf kiwi trend. the topsides have minimal flare so the water plain may well be wider than a young 11.

then your crossing over to being shown how it all works, to understand why the older designs lack a little to windward

What FNG said... Come and have a look at Fineline. Lots of beam at deck level but actually quite skinny at the waterline. The J/111 looks pretty similar at the waterline. Remember that less wetted area means less drag so faster.

Skinny hulls don't inherently generate a lot of righting moment as they heel which is called "form stability", I think that may be what you are thinking about. The j/111 will generate more RM from the keel and a Y11 will generate more from crew weight because of the wider beam.

Hulls that are designed with more beam aft... Think mini 650s and open 60s are designed to get up on the plane fast and stay there for as long as possible, in many cases this actually impacts their windward performance.

Archived