User Manuals

Ok, I consider myself to be of above average intelligence (quiet you lot), I did a major in terrestrial geophysics many years ago. Plus I've been playing with boats and their gear for over 40 years.

So on this last trip I need to pull out the user manuals on some bits and pieces of equipment - the boat had lots of "stuff" to play with.

Totally unintelligible would not be far off a description. Who writes these bloody things?

The worst were the Spectra Watermaker manual and the Kombi inverter manual.

Totally unintelligible would not be far off a description. Who writes these bloody things?

Lawyers.

Thanks to the good ole' US of A, manuals aren't to show one how to use a device anymore, they're to protect the manufacturer's ass.

Hey Squid. I know nothing happened but any chance of a write up on the trip? Always admired those catanas as a cruising boat ($$$$$$). I'd be interested in what you thought of her, what it was like to sail, average speeds etc. Also, how was clearing into Aus? Any problems with AQIS and customs/immigration, after the horror stories we have heard? If I had been home, I would have been keen to do that trip with you.. Always away when the fun happens...

Hey Squid. I know nothing happened but any chance of a write up on the trip? Always admired those catanas as a cruising boat ($$$$$$). I'd be interested in what you thought of her, what it was like to sail, average speeds etc. Also, how was clearing into Aus? Any problems with AQIS and customs/immigration, after the horror stories we have heard? If I had been home, I would have been keen to do that trip with you.. Always away when the fun happens...

Here goes, apologies if you aren't interested.

The owner had the boat delivered to NZ in order to sell it, apparently the Aussies insist on paying duty in Aus if it changes hands, even if thew transaction is from one foreigner to another.

After the sale he wanted it taken back to Brisbane. The delivery crew thwat brought it over weren't available till after Xmas, so what started as an enquiry for information on the trip turned into a delivery/.

But tthe idea was to leave ASAP. So I got one guy I knew from our YC and a ringer from Crew.org.nz

Departed Whg around 2pm with 15-20 SE. Nice ride up the coast occaisonally touching 14kn. Dawn off Doubtless Bay, around the top by noon. DDW so gybed to the north which meant we got to pass between the Three kings before dark. Much as I remember from the Race back in the late 70's, very sloppy bumpy water even though the wind dropped to zero.

Motored for the night, by dawn Se again , starting at 5 kn building over several days to 15kn. Bright sunshine blue water and all just very pleasant. The crew were over their mal de mer (I am a wonderful skipper, I cleaned up their chunder off the deck as I got sick of looking at it) and we got stuck into cooking sleeping and reading.

About 400 miles from Moreton the wind decided to go north enough to allow us to lay course and stop gybing, then we picked up speed. The breeze continued to freehen slowly but we were clocking 200 mile days on course. Last day instead of reefing when appropriate I hung on to get past some racks north of Moreton before dark. This led to the ride of the trip, about 100 miles in 8.5 hours, max speed around 17 point bit. Had to fight over who got to steer.

The trip up the bay then river to Brisbane is a pain in the butt, if I were cruising I'd go to Bundaberg instead.

The bigest drama was entering a narrow channel just after dark, wind now 28 kn still full working sail, then the GPS (all power actually) died, oops. Sails down and motor in tight circles around a channel marker till sorted.

That was it. Easiest trip ever.

The Catana is a very, very good boat. Definitely more on the performance side of the bell curve than a lot of other french cats (though I hear the newer models less so), while giving up nothing in the luxury department (I'll attach an interior photo). Very easy at 10-12kn, fast at 14, exciting at 18, but you could do 200mpd forever no stress.

Aussie customs were fine, friendly and efficient (last time one of them was a bit of an arse, maybe there's an element of luck) but be warned the bio guys are going to get tougher, expect to be asked to produce receipts for youer last bottom job or pay for another.

Next time Smithy?????

post-3043-14188717131.jpg

post-3043-141887171313.jpg

post-3043-141887171317.jpg

post-3043-141887171322.jpg

post-3043-141887171324.jpg

post-3043-141887171327.jpg

post-3043-141887171329.jpg

Thanks Squid!!

Wow, all sounds just too effortless. Yeah, for long term cruising, those catanas have got to be the business don't they? Just gotta stump up with the dollars to start off. Maybe one day.. I mean, 17-18 kn with all the comforts.. Pretty damn nice.

What was the electrical problem?

Yup, I'll be on for next time, as long as I'm home. I saw your post, but was stuck out here. :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

Thanks for the report. I enjoyed it!

As Newick tells us, speed comfort or price, you can only have 2 out of 3. In this caase they are expensive, I don't know what the current owner paid but it was being advertised somewhere over $800k Aus.

Plus more to park, haul out etc. But if that ain't a problem then go for it.Just remember to take carpet slippers instead of sea boots.

The boat had a super duper roller upper thingy for the gennaker. It set OK, when it was time to drop it we pulled for about 20 turns and nothing happened, so we read the manual - it said "nothing happens until after the first 20 or so turns" -doh.

Archived