BBQs in the Marlborough Sounds

Thats just teasing !!!!!!!

I'm coming down Wednesday - are we allowed to know where you are hiding, or is that a secret :wink:

Am Meer, Vega, Gypsy Girl, and 2 Low 4 Zero crossed this morning, and have just received a text from them in Hitau - having a wonderful time :D

Serenity level was defanently up there on the trip across, we needed more breeze!

Fantastic delivery on Airship! (Apart from the running out of fuel bit). But still 1st online!

Dave mentioned we used his genny more on thursday than he did during the year!

Be back down on wensday to join you mate.

P.s... geeeez you left C V in a mess Bardy.

they are only about $35,

but i'm pretty sure you cant import bottles of spirits bigger than 1.125L

Yes you can. Size does knot matter in this instance, except that the bigger the better rule does apply yet again.

It is the "duty free" allowance that is the factor. I believe it is 3(?) litres of spirits, commonly called 3 bottles, but in my experience, can nearly always be stretched to 3 x 1.125 or 1.25L bottles, because the hassle of calculating the extra duty on the bit over 1 litre is not worth the paperwork / hassel factor, a sensible and practical Customs approach.

So you can import more, just declare and be prepared to pay the extra duty. Saves the hassles. You never know your luck. With a pleasant smile on your face, you may be waved through.

When in the UK, I was sailing (racing in weekends and cruising in the mid week) to Cherbourg & Brittany to France. Every trip I ALWAYS bought an extra bottle over the duty free limit (of one?) but declared it. Often cracking the seals, sometimes a wee tipple, but basically the bottles were "full". However since I had no cigarettes or perfume, and dealing with the same Customs officers often, they wuld simply put on the form "1 bottle, 200 cigarettes, 1/4oz perfume" Sign HERE!! & no extra duty required.

Had GREAT LIQUER(?) parties. CHANGE the COLOUR on the hour to see who is knot drinking quickly enough!!

Worked really well when travelling by car on the cross channel ferries, by passing all the hundreds of cars in the green "Nothing to declare lanes" jame / delays. 30 seconds & waved through every time. Happy to pay the duty just to overtake all the cars :thumbup:

Better put my hand up for a bottle as well, after typing all the above!!

Cheers

Another time, 35+ years ago, when going to Boston, Mass., USA, ordered 6 x bottles and had problems trying to convince the duty free sales girl I was happy to pay the duty on the extra 5 bottles.

However on entry to USA, I said 1 x bottle for me duty free, but the other 5 bottles were "GIFTS" for friends, also duty free. I don't know if that is still USA Customs rules. Sometimes it pays to read the extra sections in the Customs rules :think: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

My mates, were really poor Harvard students, really appreciated the 6 bottles for putting me up for a weekend. :thumbup:

You can bring in as much alchohol as you like. You can bring in a case of rum or 4 cases if you want to... you just have to pay the duty on it if it is over the spirits allowance etc.

However, NZ Customs do not collect the duty due unless it totals over NZ$50.00.

So while the duty free limit is 3 bottles of spirits, the actual amount is 3 bottles of spirits plus however much more brings the total duty payable to $50...

I've been away in the Sounds myself on Airship for the last week.

This was January 4th in Kumutoto Bay with Black Swan and Whistler III in the background.

post-3053-141887173053.jpg

Nice photos kiwi_bardy.

Saw you out there and ended up in the same bays as you a few times - Flipper Bay 25 Dec, Bay of Many Coves 30 Dec and maybe even Tawa Bay 2 Jan. Disappointed we don't feature in your photos but we'll get over it!

Lovely weather for cruising Queen Charlotte Sound over Christmas / New Year. We skipped the storms (20 Dec and 28 Dec) and decided it was more comfortable on land rather than bobbing around on the water.

Archived