Whats that Head

shanson

Never seen anything like that one mate. But I can assure you it ain't the Head. It's a Toilet :wink:

For years people have incorrectly called the Toilet the Head. The head is front of the Bow of the Boat and where the Sailors of old used to hang their rear ends for their daily devotions. The wave action ensured all traces were washed away. So the sailor would say, "I have to go to the Head" meant he had to go and hang his Butt out over the Bow of the vessel.

The Toilet was a far more modern amendmant to the boating life style and somehow someone took the name "The Head" and applied it to the device for the job, rather than the area of the boat that the Job was once done.

If exTL finds his Toilet is not the same, it maybe just as easy to replace the entire unit. That way you can carry a spares kit to suit should something go wrong later. Keep an eye on Trademe as they come up on there all the time really cheap. The hand pump ones often are OK because someone has upgraded to an Electric.

If you end up buying a kit (ex-TL's offer aside) keep an eye on the pricing - sometimes they are around half the cost of a brand-new toilet. And once you have used the one vital part that always fails, often the rest of the kit turns out to be just another thing rattling around.

Prices on the new ones can be surprisingly cheap when they are on special at the Westhaven chandleries, although the width of the base of that one looks narrower than what I can recall seeing.

Fosters is another great source of weird and wonderful rare parts if you strike out elsewhere.

Thanks Ex TL systems, I'll take you up on that offer! Throw it in the car and IM me when your in Auckland!

Cheers

Well Spotted Noman, thats the bugger! :-)

I love how the electric version is just the manual version with a motor to do the pumping! :-)

Cheers

SHANE

Archived