Interested in crewing on anything headed East from NZ

I am an American male who will soon graduate with a Bachelors Degree in Sport and Recreation majoring in Outdoor Recreation and Adventure Education. I hold a current Day Skippers Certification, First Aid Certification and have over 10 years of casual sailing experience. I am looking to assist anyone in a one way trip to the America's this upcoming winter (June-September 2011). I have experience as a mechanic, electrician, cook and various other trades. Whether its up North through the islands, or a more direct trip out East to SA, full trip, or just a leg to get me half way, I'm interested. I am mostly experienced in around 30 footers, but can adjust quite easily to anything. I have plenty of free time to train a bit more this summer and have mates that I'll be doing some overnighters with who have sailed the pacific before.

*feel free to offer advice/suggestions and constructive criticism

Hi Mathew. I just thought I'd let you know that I think your ad(s) are fine. You've done everything to put yourself out there. There are cruising websites that might also be of help to you and there is the Island Cruising Association which may be able to help although I think they really only cater for boats sailing in the pacific region (but I'm not sure on that) If you get no response from anyone here it's not anything other than no one can offer you anything. Good luck and all the best .

Good advert but:

No age shown so guessing 25+

Smoking / Non smoker?

Possibly add in a port preference in USA?

Walk around the boat yards talking to suitable boat owners. It's hurricane season so many boats from the Pacific Islands come to NZ for repairs over our summer. More action in yards after January once boatbuilders need to earn more beer tokens etc.

Otherwise good info.

You should put up flyers with contact details in the sailing clubs etc. Russell / Opua, Whangarei, Tutukaka, etc all have overseas visiting cruising yachts as well as Auckland 8+ marinas

Good Luck

Yes Opua (BOI) is good although it's often the final check-out point for cruisers that have spent time cruising further south and by the time they are checking out they are pretty well sorted, have crew etc.

Gulf Harbour (an hour north of Auck) always has an interesting population of world cruisers come in each year, they tend to all be allocated berths together over on the eastern dock. Maybe ask with the marina office the best place to stick up a notice? I've picked up a couple of offshore rides with boats based in GH during the cyclone season (ie now) by getting to know their owners and crews socially through the GH Yacht club - it offers complimentary membership to all visiting cruisers and they tend to hang out at the bar/restaurant on Fri evenings.

Good luck and let us know how you go.

Archived