Clevedon River 10/1

Deep Purple

Spotted this on my flight back to Ardmore. Good effort, looks like he went up with some pace. Notice someone else did a similar thing before him and got away with it. I wonder what that stick means? It was about a 35 foot sportboat.

cr1.jpg

cr2.jpg

It probably wasn't speed, he would have hit the mud when the water was higher and covering the mud and instead of turning back to the chanel like the one that made the other marks, he kept going in a straight line. The "stick" will be a channel marker and I would expect it was a green one. Meaning he should have been the other sides of it.

Yes, its a green channel marker. Which begs the question why you'd go flying past it on the wrong side? It's also pretty obvious from a river point of view as well as depth sounder obvious. The tide still had an hour to run out when I took the photo at 5pm. In for a long evening

Powerboats on the wrongside of markers are common place in the Pelorus channel. It is a similar puggy mud. But one day someone is going to come a cropper because they will end up hitting a submerged log stuck in the mud. In the middle of the channel, it gets to a point where the tide gets too low for my boat and we have touched a couple of times and I had little choice other than open the throttle wide and push through, which we did. It would have been a good mark in the mud like those pics, but the water never completely dry's in the middle, so you will never see it. It is very common for many boats to touch or even come to a halt and have to wait for the tide to return.

Archived