Submerged yacht found up north...

Oh well, that's it!!! Our insurance premiums are now going to skyrocket and we'll have to cancel every ocean race because nobody will be able to afford the insurance. :roll:

Oh well, that's it!!! Our insurance premiums are now going to skyrocket and we'll have to cancel every ocean race because nobody will be able to afford the insurance. :roll:

:clap: :clap: :clap: :lol: :lol:

There you go again Smithy. Is there really nothing but little smilie faces and claps rolling around on the pirairy with the tumbleweed?

And Grinna, very good on the insurance segway, although with the loss of life which probably resulted, of questionable taste. Another case of an illprepaired cruiser? Maybe didnt have a watch and the North Island ran him down.

Pitty there wasnt a ship going past a few days before while the boat was still perfectly good ehh?

And Grinna, very good on the insurance segway, although with the loss of life which probably resulted, of questionable taste. Another case of an illprepaired cruiser? Maybe didnt have a watch and the North Island ran him down.

Considering

with the loss of life which probably resulted
your comments could be of questionable taste as well.

It appears you criticize others for doing what you do.

There you go again Smithy. Is there really nothing but little smilie faces and claps rolling around on the pirairy with the tumbleweed?

Ahhh Brucey. So you were awake. My posts may be short and to the point, but at least I know how to spell Prairie..... If you are going to hammer others for their content, best to get your own right first.

At least my claps and smiley faces are POSITIVE. I haven't read a positive post from you yet mate.

wonder what this guys 'back story' was?

"77 years old, 7.6 meter yacht, frequent sailing visitor to NZ".

Some pretty hard core trips have been done by solo sailors in small boats over the years.

Altho can't recall any older guys off hand.

Do recall a japanese guy who self built his tiny keel boat 6-7m or so, suspended out the window 30 floors up outside his apartment bulding in tokyo then sailed solo around the world. I think it is on display somewhere I saw recently. Perhaps it was the one in Brisbane on the river front at the museum, if it has not been washed away by recent events.

Thanks for that Scottie, never could spell.

The positive stuff is f2f, just the odd but of guidance here.

And sorry for the cheap shot, its the smiling and clapping thing when amused just conjures up visions of small children, the handicaped and trained seals.

a little bit more info on the guy here

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/artic ... d=10700002

The 77-year-old sailor, originally from England but a New Zealand resident for about 30 years, was last heard from on January 2 when he told his son he was leaving Opua for Norfolk Island. His yacht Boadicea was discovered on Wednesday with its mast protruding from the water near the remote and rugged Tapotupotu Bay, close to Cape Reinga.

Waddilove's daughter Sally told the Herald on Sunday his family hadn't given up hope of seeing her adventure-loving father alive again.

"He still may turn up. He's been lost at sea before. Last time was 1972 in the UK and the papers even described him as 'lost at sea presumed dead'. He turned up the next day after hours and hours in the water."

Waddilove had re-married then divorced in New Zealand but was still in regular contact with his family - including first wife, two adult children and five grandchildren. He'd visit his homeland about every two years.

"He's been in New Zealand on and off for about 30 years. He was a resident there and has lived on his yacht for about five years," she said.

I suspect he drowned because he just got too old and frail .But I defend his right to go this way.We should ask ourselves,when we are 77 do we want our people to park us in a rest home or do we prefer to die doing something we love?

Yeah I get the allowed to go the way you want thing BUT now we (the taxpayer) will likely expend a fair bit of $ removing the wreck, searching for him, and not so good for the family methinks.

Yes ,have to remove it.Recreational divers hate finding that sort of thing.There have been hundreds of boat wrecks that were not removed but that guys estate might have some money?

If you were in his situation and you wanted to be searched for, the solution would be to wear a PLB.He decided to opt out.Why did they have to search?Was it an expensive search or were assets used that the taxpayer pays for anyway?Did the Hawk have to stop watching Steve Pope?

I dont understand the family comment.When anybody dies ,for whatever reason,there is family sadness.We all know this.Thats the way it is.

Yeah I get the allowed to go the way you want thing BUT now we (the taxpayer) will likely expend a fair bit of $ removing the wreck, searching for him, and not so good for the family methinks.

It'll be gone after this next little blow. Why bother searching? That's how I want to go out.

Don't disagree squid but the "authorities " are sort of bound to conduct some sort of search in case he is floating around in a dinghy out there.

The family angle is generally you want a body so that you know your family member is not floating around in a dinghy, murdered by pirates, victim of some other nefarious plot... Albeit the quotes from this guy's relatives seem pretty onto it

Search called off

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/4547971 ... called-off

Police have called off the search for the skipper of a yacht found submerged in a treacherous stretch of ocean off the far north of the North Island.

An extensive search and rescue operation - which included land, sea and air searches - did not find the body of 77-year-old Malcolm Widdilove, a British resident whose boat was reported sunk on Wednesday evening.

Mr Widdilove was believed to have been on his way to Norfolk Island in his 7.6m, single hull, wooden yacht named Boadicea, Senior Constable Chris Yarnton, of Houhora police, said.

"The boat was not made for any sort of offshore sailing, especially in these areas up here."

Mr Widdilove was believed to have left from Opua marina, in the Bay of Islands, where he had been living on his yacht.

He did not notify the Coastguard of his trip, nor did he get clearance from customs and immigration to enter Australian waters, Mr Yarnton said.

"No one knew where he was going."

The boat was found by commercial divers sitting upright in about 10m of water - wedged in a rocky crevasse - near Tapotupotu Bay, Cape Reinga.

They spotted it on Tuesday afternoon but did not report it until Wednesday evening.

Mr Widdilove's daughter was still holding onto hope that her father was still alive, Mr Yarnton said.

"She said that he's been in a few tight situations before but he's managed to get through them."

He did not notify the Coastguard of his trip, nor did he get clearance from customs and immigration to enter Australian waters, Mr Yarnton said

Not sure if this is just poor reporting (quite possible) or reflects a lack of understanding of the Houhora Police (equally possible) but it isn't compulsory to notify Coastguard of any trip you may be undertaking (and never has been) and you only gain clearance to enter Australian waters once you get there (which he clearly didn't manage to do). You are required to clear out of NZ waters and warn Aussie customs with at least 96 hours notice, but that's not what was reported.

Archived