Balokovic Cup

Changed

could be cool to go to flat rock first.

Should be a few boats going that way with squady weekend and it could be a good run/reach.

Last year we had a good genni angle to flat rock and then a deep run with the kite to cow and calf. Might be similar this year although predictwind suggests that the wind is going to die out which will suck.

could be cool to go to flat rock first.

Should be a few boats going that way with squady weekend and it could be a good run/reach.

Last year we had a good genni angle to flat rock and then a deep run with the kite to cow and calf. Might be similar this year although predictwind suggests that the wind is going to die out which will suck.

That was mint fun last year, I forgot the normal course goes to the Cow first.

Don't like the predict wind forcast much, that will just make it a big boat benefit, takes a bit of the game out of it for the older or smaller boats. That said, predict wind has been forecasting the wind to die all week, dare I say it, Metservice has been on the money since last Sunday :crazy:

I vote for Flat Rk first, when and where does the kawau race start? Is there a party? Can i change fleets mid race?

The squadron night race starts are staggered from 6:00-640pm in the northern leading area. If we enter both races we could start at Orakei sail thru the squaddie start at northern leading (about 10 mins late) and then decide which race we are in after we get past Tiri!

If Murphy has anything to do with it we will get sent to the cow and calf first... that will see us coming past bean rock under spinnaker (on port) and trying to gybe in the same bit of water right about the same time that the squadron A division will be in their start sequence... good times!

Friday was a lovely night for a yacht. It was a shame that no smaller boats turned up with us being the smallest in the fleet. The race consisted of a fast reach to Flat Rock. The beginnings of a fast reach across to the Cow and Calf but some big holes spoiled that for the big boats. And a tricky beat back to Orakei with all of the gaps around Waiheke being tried by various boats. We went for a gennie change after rounding Flat Rock but the halyard clip wasn't locked and the whole lot went into the tide and left the halyard at the top of the mast. Once retrieved we only had the fractional gennie as an option so were a little under done in the light. We opted to go through the nothern gap into the Waiheke Channel and got out with just the one tack. It was great to see Pepe in the distance. They had gone through the Ruthe Passage. We exchanged tacks with Pepe all the way to Browns Island beacon where we had them pinned to leeward, they called for water, and being polite I tacked and let them out. From that point on they showed us their legs finishing about five minutes ahead. Great race and a good one to cut our teeth on. The Cool Change is cool! The provisional results are on the RAYC web site. Very efficient work from the organising team.

That was a good fun race. Any easy genni ride up to Flat Rock and got past a bunch of the RNZYS night race fleet. Gybed at Flat Rock and changed up to the mastead genni as the breeze softened. It would have been much nicer without that big hole off Waiheke though. That really squished the fleet back up again. It looked like most of the fleet were within a mile of each other rounding the cow and calf.

Very patchy wind coming back across the Firth of Thames. We got parked up a few times and could see a few people get around the outside of us. At the bottom end of Waiheke the sun come up and we could see Whitebait and Truxton just ahead. The extra grunt from our new #1 helped us get past both of them on the beat to the finish but there was no catching River Rebel... well done Karl! I don't know where you guys got past us but you did a good job of it. I have square top main envy now!

One of the boats in front of us at the cow didn't round calf island. We couldn't figure out which one it was in the dark so I don't know who to protest. It would be interesting to see the GPS tracks on a couple of those big boats, someone didn't read the sailing instructions. Thinking about this today I guess I could have protested all of the boats in front but I guess it would be thrown out now for failing to advise the protested parties of our intention to protest.

Truxton parked up for what felt like forever as everyone sailed down to us at cow. I also saw a boat tack onto port and not round the calf. I know it wasn't white bait or fine line and we followed another boat maybe outrageous fortune? around the calf only a few boat lengths behind and they quickly pulled away. Be nice to see some one own up to it.

Great course choice the ride to flat was cool and we started charging at the cow for the first 15miles till the park up.

Frustrating for us to lose so much ground but thats life.

Also dissapointing to have finished last out of all the boats to finish every race at the end of the series.

well done river rebel you deserved your win congratulations. Top season with a coastal win and gold cup series win. You seam to be one of the fastest 36fters out there at the moment. Certainly got the wheels on truxton.

One of the best gold cup series for a while I would have though.

the hole around cow and calf certainly favoured the back of the fleet, allowed us slower boats, like touchdown to catch up before the start of a difficult beat. Strange weather all night, black as the inside of the preverbial with the all the low cloud. other boat's torches made some quite strange effects through the drizzle / cloud. Anyone else get the dolphins at flat rock? Fineline - you kept us on our toes up the beat, but do you know that whilst you had 8 hiking on the rail we were tucking into fried eggs and sausages !! hee hee.

No pepe on the results, they should be in for a good placing?

Archived