Reccomended Cover and Bimini manufacturer

smithy09

I am sure this subject has been covered before, but here goes. Who do you guys reccomend to manufacture a decent Bimini for a 40 footer, and what would you expect to pay?

Second question, who do you reccomend for general covers and repairs?

Thanks for your help!

After seeing the price and workmanship of the new mainsail cover on Voom its bloody hard to look past Bill Barry - (Vorpal Blade) on here. He did a stellar job and very timely as well! Clipper sure was happy with the service :-)

Other than that i would reccommend Rob at Doyles Covers, or Nick Wells from Eclipse canvas (eclipsecanvas.co.nz)

Marshy

Just to add to you options Gulf Harbour Covers did a superb job for me on covering AC with all sorts of canvas about 6 yrs ago. Since then it has held up extremely well and they have removed and touched up a couple of areas needing some TLC (like stitching which gets attacked by UV) for free. They custom designed it to match my height (I'm tall) and at the time I think I paid about $2k for the Bimini and then the same again for spray dodger and boom cover.... plus some extras like covers for winches, wheel, outboard etc. So all up I dropped about $5k I think and haven't spent anything since despite some inevitable maintenance required after 6 yrs in the NZ sun.

Thanks AC. Getting total trim to make a new kite pole cover, so will see how they go.. I will get a few quotes for the Bimini!

Hey Greg - your off to a good start. Free (ouch) fabric - in your stock. Use mainsail - as it's not much good for anything else - 'cept - backyard sun cover & it'd be better used on the boat, eh? Ciao, james Then if it 'rips' - you'll only get wet or sunburnt. Re-cycling is all good, yea - yea. Your friendly - helpful yachting associate. jj

Smithy, I know it was a while ago but how did you got on with the quotes for the bimini? Looking at doing the same.

Hey bc. I used Total trim to make a pair of squabs for the cockpit and to repair a kite pole cover. In both cases, I found them to be VERY expensive and the work nothing flash (but no complaints about workmanship). The squabs were about 1.2 metres long and 100mm thick but were over $500 for a pair.. OTT in my book. So I went to Norths for the Bimini and repairs to the mainsail cover.. Excellent, fast work and $1000 for the bimini which is a biggy with 4 full width battens.. Can't reccomend them enough.. Won't go back to North Shore covers. Felt I was being ripped... :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

Smithy, I know it was a while ago but how did you got on with the quotes for the bimini? Looking at doing the same.

Hey bc. I used Total trim to make a pair of squabs for the cockpit and to repair a kite pole cover. In both cases, I found them to be VERY expensive and the work nothing flash (but no complaints about workmanship). The squabs were about 1.2 metres long and 100mm thick but were over $500 for a pair.. OTT in my book. So I went to Norths for the Bimini and repairs to the mainsail cover.. Excellent, fast work and $1000 for the bimini which is a biggy with 4 full width battens.. Can't reccomend them enough.. Won't go back to North Shore covers. Felt I was being ripped... :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

Geese, '09' you get 'ripped' a lot, 1st/ the - shredded main & now you feel the same. Solution - 1st/ get new main - fool proof (ha ha) 2nd/ See your 'cheese & kisses' she'll fix you up - I'm sure. There now all's well for 2012 - all problems solved. Easy as, eh!! Ciao, james

Archived