Ferry in Trouble Wellington Harbour?

smithy09

Just heard on the news that a local ferry has not arrived in Seatoun, and they have pretty strong winds on the harbour at the moment. I would guess that is an Eastbourne ferry??

From Stuff: Emergency crews are rushing to assist Wellington's Eastbourne Ferry, which has broken down off Worser Bay.

The ferry was only about 100m from land and had been packed with school children, who were now being brought to shore.

Police said around 40 passengers were believed to be on board.

Fire rescue, ambulances, and maritime police are heading to the scene, but the condition of the ferry is unknown.

Reports say the ferry is in trouble about 100 metres off Worser Bay Yacht Club.

It got a big wave over the front that smashed the front windows, so it took on quite a bit of water, there was a school group on board but everyone is off safely :thumbup:

from what i understand "washed overboard" might be a bit of artistic licence, but someone did end up in the water and was recovered.

the ferry is now pumped out and on the mooring in Scorching bay waiting for the weather to improve, about 1500 according to the met service

"down by the head" maybe?

you can't expect too much from reporters.

On the news they stated, with the ferry very visible in the background, "the ferry has now sunk" :clap: :clap:

Yeah and the person washed overboard was actually a person that paniced and jumped overboard.

It was ruff, but not that ruff. I also was surprised to not see bilge pumps pumping out water. Not saying that wasn't happening, but I did expect pumps being able to cope with that kind of thing happening.

The question I reckon MNZ should be asking is not whether it should have been operating in the conidtions, but is it capable of handling the conditions as normal operation.

I also thought it a bit tuff that the operator said that the Skipper has the say in whether the boat should operate or not.But I bet if a Skipper said no I am not going, the Boss would have had something else to say in relation to his job.

but I did expect pumps being able to cope with that kind of thing happening.

Probably find that the suctions in all the bilges were aft and being down by the head the suctions might not have been of much use.

According to Dom Post this AM it took on 4000 litres of water, so a bit of work for pumps even if they were able to work at the angle shown in the pictures.

Wheels

regardless of whether the owner/operator of the ferry business was right to hang his/her skipper out is moot as maritime law means that the master is responsible for the safety pax, crew and vessel.

Yep absolutely understand that. But still, I bet it would be tuff to say to the Boss we ain't going when the Boss has said they have operated many times in far worse. Maybe he is a good operator and would have said, "yep I respect that decision" but with these Water Taxi/Ferry operations struggling so much these days, it would be surprising.

4000ltrs?? :shock: so did the skipper not turn it around so the nose wasn't head into the conditions???

he was actually going down wind when it happened.... which suggests to me the bows went a loooong way down to get that sort of water over the foredeck :shock:

Yep absolutely understand that. But still, I bet it would be tuff to say to the Boss we ain't going when the Boss has said they have operated many times in far worse. Maybe he is a good operator and would have said, "yep I respect that decision" but with these Water Taxi/Ferry operations struggling so much these days, it would be surprising.

understand what you are saying wheels but knowing the person in question he's pretty reasonable about dealing with cancellations.

Wellington weather can do that to you :D

In all my years running other people's boats I have never been pressured to sail at all if I decided it was unsafe to.

The times where I have sailed in dodgy circumstances were always when it was my own boat. Go figure!! Older and wiser now but watch this space for a cyclone season dash to Vanuatu. :eh:

Archived