Is there any reason why a US of A bought VHF radio wouldnt

SanFran

I have a VHF ment for US area and I bought it in the Caribbean 2007. It has a button (you actually have to push two buttons same time) in the front where I can select which frequencies I am using. I am happy with the VHF and the price. I think it was around $200. Go for it.

Go for it mate! Same old story huh, everything is cheaper in the states. I work on ships out of the caribbean mostly - so constantly flying back and forward - with a full suitcase every time!

Or you could get one here. VHF with all the goodies, All Int and US channels, ATIS for Europe, GPS capable, speed dial, DSC and more for NZ$289 and that's full RRP. And no warranty issues in NZ.

$NZ285 = US$199.50 right now.

Hmmm......

AdvanSea FX-400 VHF

That took 10 seconds to find and as it is a nasty competitive sort of a product I'd expect to find many more similar featured at a similar price around town.

VHF's are a buyers market but you do get what you pay for as the old saying goes the retailers like brunsco etc always have deals running on them and do be aware if you bring one in a buggers out the NZ importer will not warrant it you would need to return it to the US alot of the importers have really clamped down on that.

for sure u get what you pay for, I tried swapping out a high end icom with a low end one, lasted about a week before I swapped them back, the reception on the high end one was so so much better, decided that it was worth the dosh after all.....

some require you to hold a button sequence at power on to change between us and int

I have seen the standard horizon gx 2100 as low as 300 US.

Now that is a fully equiped DSC vhf and ais reciever..fully intergrateable with your chart plotter. A number of guys here have got them....and no problem with international channel set.

Unfortunately for me the US ones will work in NZ.

There is a bit coming up in h/h VHF. Both Icom and GME are about to stock a floating 5W h/h VHF for under $300.

In the meantime we're about to offer a good run out deal on the Icom M33.

Come and see us at Safety at Sea in Westhaven.

Some VHF's from the US are not type approved in NZ and therefore illegal. NZ Type approval is more stringent than US. Our approval is more similar to Europe. Cobra do a nice VHF for $240 inc GST so you will be worse off bringing one in from US. Cobra also do some nice handhelds floating with the option of blue tooth to connect to your phone and optional rewind function to replay the last 15 seconds of the last transmission.

Archived