AC 45 Fleet Trials

OK,so they look pretty damn amazing blasting along with their downwind sail set,putting apparent wind an awful long way forward for being off the wind.

The speed is impressive and it looks like the guys on board the boats are enjoying the ride as much as the spectators are enjoying watching.

So for those of us that are not in Auckland and are unable to actually get out on the water while these :( machines are playing...Has anyone got video of the boats doing anything other than going in a straight line.

I really want to see these things gybing with a bit of pressure and probably above all I want to see them tacking.Not just once but putting a few tacks together.

Yep that is cool for sure.

Still unless the courses are point a to point b they are going to have to tack and gybe at least once,hopefully more so that there are some"crosses" during the race.

Every video so far is straight line stuff with a slight bear away or hardening up.Twice it looked like a tack was about to happen.Both times either the camera moved onto the straight liners or the tacking boat stopped so as to be no longer in frame.

Anyone able to ally a fear that all the racing will be to layline,tack,go around the bouy.

It will still be exciting to see at the speeds these things go but not really a tactical race,hope I'm wrong.

Anyone able to get some tack/gybe footage?

reading between the lines from what the Spitfire said - I'm pretty sure they are just learning how to sail the boats in close quarters first rather than actually competitively lining up out of the box and smashing the toys up. I think you'll find that they're working together to set down the 'rules of engagement' in terms of how to apply Part 2 rules.

I was out sailing my little cat the same day as that video was shot so I got to see quite a few maneuvers. I guess because they stop flying when they tack it is not as exciting on camera but when they bare away and unleash the big downwind sail it looks really cool because it seems they are fighting to keep it under control until the speed picks up. I think these bare aways might be where we could see some carnage.

So variant,whats your call on how quick they get thru these maneuvers?

How many boat lengths are lost in a tack?

Enough to discourage tacking or do they get thru fast enough,and back up to speed to allow tacking battles and covering.?

Having only seen a 45 on a mooring in real life I cannot wait to see them blasting along and racing.Even watching them skitting around in the gusts on a mooring got the adrenalin going,however if it is all straightline speeding the rush will soon wear off.I guess if carnage is involved the interest level may stay up.

Please anyone who can,post some video of these things spinning thru a few maneuvers

The tacks are quick, not sure if they are as quick. Where the old AC boats would perhaps drop to 7 knots during a tack that wasn't as much of a big deal when there straight speed was 10 or so giving a 30% speed drop.

I think the cats speed drop is a fair bit higher than 30% during a tack and I think the ground lost is pretty high also. Working out when to tack in a battle situation would be quite hard because the distances are big. So yeah I think tacking is a bit discouraged, I will have to get some kind of waterproof camera for my next outing.

I've watched them alot from my office, and occasionally on the water. They seem to tack OK. Speed was down, but their close hauled boat speed was much lower than their reaching speed. Maybe 16-20knots? And they tend to bear away afterward a little to gain speed quickly. On the other hand they accelerate quickly.

They might lose a fair amount of distance, but with the speeds they go that will only be seconds on the water.

I would think they race will be very tactical, getting into the right areas of the course for the best possible breeze.

Starting could be good too, they seem pretty manouverable sailing in and out of the viaduct.

I ried looking for the same thing last night. Wonder if Tasker got his facts wrong - you'd hope that they would run at least one race series here before packing them all up again. Bit mean on us kiwis if they don't!

From Lat 38 ( who are quite happy as they are in SF)

The only hard news that came from the Authority is that the first America's Cup World Series will be held in Cascais, Portugal, August 6-14. The second will be held in Plymouth, England, September 10-18, and the third will be in San Diego at a date to be determined.

No mention of anything in NZ.

Saw Oracle go out yesterday in 25-35knots. Sailed out of viaduct and seemed able to keep it totally depowered. Then blasted down the harbor with headsail up, leaving their chase boat for dead.

I ried looking for the same thing last night. Wonder if Tasker got his facts wrong - you'd hope that they would run at least one race series here before packing them all up again. Bit mean on us kiwis if they don't!

No proper racing series in NZ before they all leave NZ in early May.

Someone else paid for the rights to host the first series, that's also behind why they don't enter or start/finish properly the few races they've done here.

Welcome to the real world.

right - so the 'real world' of sailing is ONLY about money. The actual sailing itself is just secondary.

Just got sent this link

yup - ONLY about the money!

right - so the 'real world' of sailing is ONLY about money. The actual sailing itself is just secondary.

Just got sent this link

yup - ONLY about the money!

where the f*ck have you had your head buried the past 16 years?????????????????????????

This event is all about the systems for setting the course, communications and race managment. No actual races as such.

Archived