Which Yacht Club??

smithy09

Before I venture into the scary world of racing the Marshall, I have to join a keel boat yacht club.. The BBYC on the transom really needs to be replaced.

Pros and cons everyone? The Squadron looks great for pose value, lots of opportunities to get into reciprocal clubs overseas, good racing etc etc, but are they a freindly bunch there? Can you rock up to the bar for a cold one as an unknown peasant without the room going silent?? :D :D Bit expensive? I am sure I can hunt down a few old Laser sailing compadres to get nominated, but I'd be keen to hear feedback from you lot, as you haven't put me wrong yet!

AA, I would be happy to join Weiti if I was up at Gulf Harbour, but I'm not, so it would have to be a harbour-based club. (Just getting that in before you hit me up!)

The floor is open! Thanks, as always....

AA, I would be happy to join Weiti if I was up at Gulf Harbour, but I'm not, so it would have to be a harbour-based club. (Just getting that in before you hit me up!)

There's plenty to choose from down there but in the end reaching up and down the tidal ditch is just that no matter which club you belong to...

When I was sailing down there, I found Richmond to be very friendly and their race fees weren't so bad. Might be worth asking about that as it's the same bit of water you sail on regardless. Last time I was interested in a single race entry with the Squadron I thought I was being given someone's phone number, not the race entry fee! :shock:

Before I venture into the scary world of racing the Marshall, I have to join a keel boat yacht club.. The BBYC on the transom really needs to be replaced.

Two things - Why remove the BBYC Sticker when you could answer your own question and join BBYC?

Otherwise i recommend joining SSANZ - Good value for money and the money goes towards a good team with the racing your more likely to do? like two handed etcand its an affiliated YNZ yacht club?

The RNZYS has a racing membership option. This eases you in without the joining fee. Basically 1/3 1st year, 2/3 2nd year and then full.

Plus as a member you get club vouchers. Plus as a member you get big discounts on race fees.

With your 40 footer, he RNZYS also offers the best race fleet, and it has family cruising.

The Club is very pleasant. We take the kids for brunch or dinner occasionally, and you can join in for a beer in an evening.

They have Stella on tap.

It aint perfect but I joined when I transferred to Auckland in the mid 90s and never regretted it.

Marshy-M Yeah I actually raced with BBYC in Noelex 25s for a while, but it's a bit far from home... They were a friendly bunch then for sure..

Thanks Jono. Good to know.

The Squaddie is great especially if you use it when you are not racing. Fantastic venue in the summer. You have the Commodores Cup and other member only races which are really good. The racing membership really helps ease you in without a hammering to the wallet.

Richmond is also a good option too.... join both! :D

Smithy, depends on the type of racing you want to do, with a Ross 40 i presume Wednesday nites and a bit of weekend stuff is where you will be, so the RNZYS will be the best fit, if you are looking a bit further afield, then perhaps consider RAYC who seem to have an excellent Gold Cup series and of course Fiji in their offshore stuff.

You cant beat SSANZ for outright value.

Interesting how the Squaddy advocates seem to forget that Richmond does a Wed night series also, in fact was the original Club to start this. Also does "weekend stuff", cruising races, the Route 66 to Whangarei, a winter short handed series and all at a reasonable price through the "Sail Pass" which gives you all Richmonds races for about $130 annually. And while RAYC oversees the Gold Cup, the series in fact uses various races from keel boat club programmes.

....Richmond does a Wed night series also, in fact was the original Club to start this. Also does "weekend stuff", cruising races, the Route 66 to Whangarei, a winter short handed series and all at a reasonable price through the "Sail Pass" which gives you all Richmonds races for about $130 annually.

Exactly.. join both as a lot of people do.

You can join both but you end up paying 2 lots of Y NZ SEM's. You can get one back but they don't make it easy.

Smithy, SSANZ is a bloody good idea, but if you want a club to go to after the race then you will have to join a club with a building.

Archived