Diesel Mechanic Gulf Harbour

The Bump

Does anyone know a good marine diesel mechanic who can look at a wee motor in Gulf Harbour Marina? I have a consistant pesky little fuel leak and darned if I can find it - the people who normally service it cant find it - so time for a fresh pair of eyes I'm thinking...advice anyone? :?: :think:

been a pesky amount - about half a cup after motoring in flat water for about 2 hours. We had a fuel leak through the top of the tank where the sender unit is fixed - got that fixed (we think) - yet we have kept the tank low (about a third full) - and have not been out in rough conditions or leant the boat over - so it cant be spilling from the top of the tank....

The area around the tank looks dry and clear - the fuel collects in the RHS only and sits in an area trapped by the floor boards. The engine looks ok - cant see an area where it may be coming from - but certain it is not the sender now.....and cant see anywhere else on fuel lines etc where it may be leaking from....need fresh eyes I think!

It might be the tank.

As experienced by a mate last year, stainless tanks rot from the inside out where any residual water accumulates and sits. That manifested for him as a pinhole seep at the tank lowpoint and then as a full blown 'find the bilges full of diesel' nuisance ,fortunately a few weeks before the christmas cruise. That would have been a full on disaster for his holiday if it had happened while he was out there.

The best tool for finding that sort of thing ( and worked in this installation)without removal is to get a digital camera in there under the thing and take a bunch of photos until you find it.

another way of finding small leaks is to clean the area well removing oil and fuel then apply an oil paste - it changes colour when it comes in contact with oil / fuel.

Guest mental outlook

It could be the bottom of the tank, that is what happened to my Y88.

It had a tiny crack on one of the bottom corners of the tank emptying the whole lot on the bilge over a 48 hour period (after a beating coming back from the Barrier). Once out it also showed signs of corrosion where it sat on the foam and glass bearers also so we welded some solid stainless bar to the bottom of it so it sat on that and not the tank. May be of help.

Rigger - are you able to tell me whre i could find some of that water finding paste? seems like good stuff from what i've heard. cheers. :wink:

or anything like that sort of stuff :-)

Thanks!.. is there anything on the market that you can 'dip' into your diesel tank to see if there is water present? i've heard of "water finding paste" but can only see website for UK, USA etc, so wondering if there is anything in nz. thanks :thumbup:

Archived