Rocna revision

Steve Pope

Yeah I knew that Knots but thanks for the confirmation.. They are awkward things to stow whichever brand you get.
Yes that is a often run into downside. I think as time ticks by builders will adapt boats to suit. It'll take a while but we are seeing the 1st signs of it happening.
And I'll tell you another thing the type is prone to if you're used to a good ole plough or danforth. Because they're rigid and there's more of a lever arm effect through the shorter dimension and there's more width to the shank , when they come up into yer fairlead backwards they can buck out when they turn over.

Yeah that's a weird one really. They never seem to do that in the early days, or at least we heard bugger all, but in the last 1.5-2 years we are hearing and seeing that a lot more and the weird part is it seems to be 90% Rocnas. No idea why just that or at least seems more just that one nor why there seems to have been some change. We've look at hard and can't see any reason why it's happening. Maybe it's more just people mentioning it now when they didn't before or there is a geometry change in the design. If there has been a change it's been tiny so that sort of rules that out a bit. All a bit strange is that one. Maybe just a simple weight distribution thing which we have been meaning to check but have yet got around to doing so.

Oh yeah, when they jump over it can be nasty. Many now using a swivel dildo looking dodacky which forces the anchors to swing over a bit further away from the roller so it doesn't jump out and go bad on paintwork. Been going thur those a lot faster of late..... for all anchors knot just the Rocna. They can all do it.

I'd be interested to know if you can find a solution for Bogan. I haven't gone there for the same reasons.
There is always a way F. There are other designs which work damn well and one arriving in NZ shortly that reckons it's way better then the R & S in holding power (we look forward to checking this shortly) and it doesn't have a rollbar, which is the usually the arse part.

Twill let ya know after a suss of Mr Bogans fine machine.

it seems to be 90% Rocnas.

Correction - More like 70%, Supreme 15%, the rest are assorted types. I just checked our log. Yes we log anchor issues and it is interesting and we learn heaps, especially trends. So piss off with the laughing and get back to work ;)

What they do when they come up upside down is if they just happen to turn further down the shank( whatever you call it ) and roll on that knuckle about halfway down the fairlead in the photo, is that the chord is large enough to overlay the highest point of the fairlead and they'll buck out. Helped by the fact that the typical 'plough' fairlead is much wider than it needs to be for the plate of these type anchors. I just have a spectra strop clipped on those little ears to stop that from happening.Now.

IMG_3727_1.jpg

I can't see it'll be much different on the Supreme but whatever , small cost / learning curve to pay for the far superior units that they are.

Have you ever found that workbench on the other side of the warehouse after a big blow? If so, its possibly because there's not enough chain attached to the anchor to get a decent scope on it. :wink: Of course it may be that the warehouse floor is a bit too hard to let that Rocna set properly .... though from the advertising guff that's out there on these anchors I wouldn't be surprised if there are claims that Rocnas can set in concrete.

Actually ... serious question about the Supremes .... if you use that rockslot to attach your anchor rode and the tide reverses and the boat starts pulling the other way on the anchor, will it pull the anchor out and then not let it set again?? Just wondering if that's been found to be an issue? Do people commonly use the rockslot or is it a "only when you're in rocky areas where you might get your anchor stuck" kinda thing??

Actually ... serious question about the Supremes .... if you use that rockslot to attach your anchor rode and the tide reverses and the boat starts pulling the other way on the anchor, will it pull the anchor out and then not let it set again?? Just wondering if that's been found to be an issue? Do people commonly use the rockslot or is it a "only when you're in rocky areas where you might get your anchor stuck" kinda thing??

That is possible but it doesn't seem to be happening or at least we've heard zero reports of it happening. We have had a play to see what happens and all we get is it resetting again pretty damn quick. I suppose the worry could be it pulling out then grabbing a plastic bag or something while trying to reset, unlikely but again a very outside chance. It was quite hard to do even when simulating it. The chain just tends to drag around under the shank (yes John, that is the right word) and pull the anchor around sideways. To get the connection to slide to the wrong end you really do need something lifting the chain above the shank. About the only time a boat would to that is if it's blowing it titties right off and if the chain is lifting that high it's probably close to pulling the anchor out anyway.

So we reckon it isn't a big worry to worry about. But being a tad anal I'd work on staying with the fixed point unless you know you are dropping into nasty foul in which case swap to the slot. A better safe than sorry theory.

Both the Supreme and Rocna's (plus a couple of others) main bonus for the average punter is that set damn well. The old school plows, Bruces and Deltas you sort of 'have to set' where these others do it themselves just about. The new ones are damn near idiot proof.

So un-anchoring yourself via using the slot does seem to be knot the worry may thought it maybe..

John B, we do suspect the rollers may have some input. Many aren't anything as good as they used to be. Some are seriously lightweight and many are failing due to that. I doubt yours will though, that one looks very serious.

These are the dildo things I mentioned. Anchor Straighteners. 8mm Galv and a 10mm Bling. They force the anchor to rotate to the right orientation as the Straightener comes over the roller so no nasty sh*t should happen in the roller.

Oh those are knot full sized reels of rope, they are mini ones. The straighteners aren't 1000mm long :)

And for language buffs both of the words you can see are the same word, just ones in Italian.

post-646-141887183331.jpg

:lol: :lol: Unscrew the swivel end and drop the hook in there Squid. Can't say they have been tested on Mahi-mahi as far as I know.

If you look out your window Mr Squid you will see NZ knot Mexico. No Dorados here babe ;)

Damn you've made me hungry now. Those have to be the best eating fish around.

Archived