Rocna revision

Steve Pope

as it was brought to our attention that content regarding materials used to build our anchors was no longer accurate.
Brought to their attention my arse. Independent Tests were done only to find the much proclaimed 800mpa steel was nothing of the sort and they damn well knew that. Basically they got caught and can't try to fudge it any longer. Just more of the usual smoke and mirrors.

A bent n twisted bit of steel held 28t maybe but the picture shows an anchor that's well rooted before 28t. I wonder what version of the anchor they used for their test?

Yet more trying to imply they have RINA bullshit.

Such a shame as it is a good design. Oh well, that's brand marketing companies for ya.

Not to mention the "implication" of Lloyds by listing their name.

And SHHP is a type, or classification of an anchor. Not an approval. SHHP is used by at least half a dozen, but probably more, companies around the world and it means very little. It certainly does not mean the Factory in China has to meet certain stringent tests and controls through out every single process of production like Lloyds calls for.

Well I believe Manson Supreme is a far supperior anchor. You can tell that just by looking at them side by side. But another that shoudl be considered if the Sarca. It has some mighty impressive performance specs and is made from very high quality materials and to some very high standards. A few years ago when the Sarca first came out, I was not that impressed by the looks. But after seeing the specs and seeing the thing set, I am finding I have to change my views on it.

I can't speak for the Rocna, but I bought a Manson Supreme from some dodgy place on the shore a couple of summers ago, and it has been amongst the best money I've spent in terms of peace of mind. Sets quickly and holds fast.

I can say the same about the Rocna.

I don't buy into the usual rocna/ manson pissing contest, I think these new generation type anchors are superior to the older traditional CQR/Danforth types though.

I don't buy into the usual rocna/ manson pissing contest,

It's not so much a contest anymore JB, but that Rocna changed the playing field. They once used high tensile steel, then without telling Customers, changed to some very poor Chinese Mild steel for cost cutting, but still "alluded" to the thing being hight tensile. So if you bought a Rocna a few years back, you have a good one. But the current ones are just a mild steel and being a Chinese Mild steel, it tends to vary a fair bit in it's tensile tests.

Design wise both are bloody good. Performance wise there is nothing in it, no matter what each combatant says or at least one in particular. Both have strong and often vocal supporters/users.

So assuming both are damn good designs and perform equally what other variations are there?

Supreme is made in NZ, Rocna in China.

Supreme is a Lloyds Approved SHHP anchor. Manson has very strict QA systems imposed and regular checks by Lloyds, including test welds by all their welders.

Rocna very recently got SHHP from RINA (an Italian based Lloyds wannabe). QA is overseen by ??????.

Supreme is built using flash steels. Rocna was but is now using 'fit for purpose' steel, whatever that maybe, they won't say.

The Supreme is cheaper than the Rocna.

Supreme hasn't flooded the interweb with misconceptions and often dodgy marketing.

That's about it, make your own mind up.

I don't buy into the usual rocna/ manson pissing contest,

It's not so much a contest anymore JB, but that Rocna changed the playing field. They once used high tensile steel, then without telling Customers, changed to some very poor Chinese Mild steel for cost cutting, but still "alluded" to the thing being hight tensile. So if you bought a Rocna a few years back, you have a good one. But the current ones are just a mild steel and being a Chinese Mild steel, it tends to vary a fair bit in it's tensile tests.

Mine is a kiwi one as far as I know.

I can't speak for the Rocna, but I bought a Manson Supreme from some dodgy place on the shore a couple of summers ago, and it has been amongst the best money I've spent in terms of peace of mind. Sets quickly and holds fast.

Me too. Someone there advised me to change my choice to a Supreme. It didn't move an inch in 65kn at BOI a couple of years ago. Had only one occasion where it did not set first go…..hauled it up and found a thick plastic sheet attached to the pointy end.

Problem with these fixed blade anchors: How do I fit one in my anchor well?

They're a bloody difficult and unforgiving shape.

Yeah some of the newer ones are large for their weight and the rollbar does cause a fair few fitting issues. But there are other highly viable alternatives.

I'm doing a small tweak on your neighbour, when the sky stops falling, so I'll stick my head in your pointy end as see what options you may have, should you require hook tweak at some time.

Mine is a kiwi one as far as I know.

The NZ or Canadian made ones do KNOT have the name embossed along the kick-up at the back of the foot. The chinese ones do.

NOTE: The question marks hang only over the chinese made ones and then maybe possibly knot all of them. But which ones and from what time frame is the unknown part.

Yeah I knew that Knots but thanks for the confirmation.. They are awkward things to stow whichever brand you get.

And I'll tell you another thing the type is prone to if you're used to a good ole plough or danforth. Because they're rigid and there's more of a lever arm effect through the shorter dimension and there's more width to the shank , when they come up into yer fairlead backwards they can buck out when they turn over.

Not a problem if you don't mind 20kg of anchor ploughing down your stem and putting a 4 inch gouge in your paint by the waterline. Not that I'd know or anything.Its not as if I had to have a lie down after that happened to me .

moral. put a strop or hoop strap over the end of the fairlead so the mofo is captivated.

Problem with these fixed blade anchors: How do I fit one in my anchor well?

They're a bloody difficult and unforgiving shape.

Yeah some of the newer ones are large for their weight and the rollbar does cause a fair few fitting issues. But there are other highly viable alternatives.

I'm doing a small tweak on your neighbour, when the sky stops falling, so I'll stick my head in your pointy end as see what options you may have, should you require hook tweak at some time.

I'd be interested to know if you can find a solution for Bogan. I haven't gone there for the same reasons.

Archived