930 Keel U/grade

RedLine

Thinking of doing a simple keel bulb u/grade to my 930 (Redline).

THe boat had a major keel stub & floor repair in 2005, and the floors were beefed up, so think it could take a little more lead. There is already a thread with pics elsewhere on here. But not much in the way of solid info.

My thoughts are to un-bolt the std class keel, and re-cast with some extra lead, to make a new torpedo. This should hoepfully make the boat a little more stable in a blow, and not require 7 blokes on the rail.

Dont know what shape bulb boats like Animal Farm/Pepe have? I was thinking of a basic torpedo shape, the class bulb has a similar shape but no forward section of bulb, so this may be the place to put some xtra lead. As these boats are slightly stern heavy.

Does anyone have any info out there:

Design Weight of the class bulb

Weight of bulb on some of the turbos

any info re moulds for some of the turbo keels, if so who has them.

Any info would be apreciated.

Cheers

Stu

I don't know anything about R930's, but I was in at Mike Rees Casting the other day and saw enough keel bulb moulds to wet my pants. He knows his boats so there is a good chance he already has the mould your after. He might have said he has a R930 but I wasn't paying attention by then...

42e Porana Rd

I'm told the class clip on bulb is 180kg.

The Turbo bulbs range between 650 and 850 ish. The boat with the 650 is a fast one as are some with the 850's so it seems there may knot be a critical number that range. Most I believe are at the heavier end of that range. I'm told the latest Turboers bulbs are the same weight as a class keel just all in the bulb and on a deeper fin. Number stated +/- a few kg, knot that many though.

The shapes do seem to be torpedo like from the quick glimpse I've seen.

I believe Murray Animal Farm may know the where abouts of any molds. Mike Rees, of Mike Rees Castings and connected to 'Elbow Room' fame, is bound know something if indeed he doesn't have one already. I believe he's poured more than a few 930 parts over the years.

If you are going to tweak your keel you may as well tweak the whole thing rather than just the bulb. The Class keels do seem the shape you'd expect to see in the back ground of pictures with Dinosaurs in them :)

The current discussion going on amongst a good sized group of owners is the 930 Turbos go box rule. The suggested max draft is 2.4mts, which all the current Turbos do comply with, some 2.1, 2.2 but most seem to be on that 2.4mt mark from what I understand. I'd max out at 2.4mts, which does seem to work well on the water, so if that Box Rule does kick in you are good to go.

I was in at Mike Rees Casting the other day and saw enough keel bulb moulds to wet my pants.

And people look at me sideways when I say a bit of rope is sexy.

Wetting your pants over bulb molds??? Knot too sure that's the best thing to say out loud :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I was in at Mike Rees Casting the other day and saw enough keel bulb moulds to wet my pants.

And people look at me sideways when I say a bit of rope is sexy.

Wetting your pants over bulb molds??? Knot too sure that's the best thing to say out loud :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Gee, you know you've crossed the line when Knot Me tells you you've said something dodgy :lol: :lol:

I was going to add a dsiclaimer that I had no legitimate reason to be at casting / foundary place, especially one with lot and lots of keel molds. I can truthfully say I have no secret projects, plans or general hair-brained ideas involveing keel molds, or any other secret project that may attract the attention of Mr Handicapper...

But with Knot me casting aspergions as to why I may have been in a casting / foundary place I think I'll just keep my trap shut :silent:

Thanks KM.

When u say the Turbo's are between 650-850KG, I assume you are menaing the weight of the total package, e.g keel stub & bulb. If the Std Class bulb is 180kg, then I might increase it by a maximum of 100kg's to say 280kG with an altered front section. I cant belive the turbo's would have a bulb of that weight for the bulb alone?

Think I read somewhere that class keel bulb & fin together are around 900kg.

Cheers

Stu

I'm pretty sure that Ballistic has a 700kg Bulb of Murray Ross design and spec'd by High Modulus, with no ballast anywhere in the keel and there are a few 930's with a similar design but knot many. 1 or 2 perhaps, there was a thread a few months ago with pictures.

Hi Max here new poster but long time crew fan.

I did a keel upgrade that went on to Testarossa. To keep cost down we did 3 at the same time. It's the same as No Worries, and Recreation. The design was by Thompson. With a total Depth between water line to bottom of bulb of 2.4m. The can was rolled steel plate with internal stiffening sections plug welded. The fin Weighed 115Kg. The bulb was designed to be 550Kg but a scaling error during my drawing plotting resulted in the first finished bulb coming out light at close to 515Kg. The later 2 were about 530. To make up the weight on Testarossa the bottom section of the fin was drilled & about 20kg of lead shot was poured in.

After regularly sailing on No worries & occasionally Recreation I can confirm it’s the single biggest & best upgrade bang for buck a R930 can get.

Gotta agree that the keel upgrade is a great idea and cost vs speed increase is akin to masthead kites and jumpers.

Think how much money gets spent buying the flash sails for boats dragging old keels around!

Think how much money gets spent buying the flash sails for boats dragging old keels around!
Think how many spend 1000's on flash sails and gear when they would be better off spending $50 on a 'Learn to race your boat fast' book and a set of cheap spectacles.
Think how many spend 1000's on flash sails and gear when they would be better off spending $50 on a bottle of rum and a set of cheap bikini girls.

Fixed it for ya.

Hi Max

Think I sailed with u a few times with Ian on no worries. Also did a half completed Coastal Classic with u on no worries. I lived on board my Catalina 42 @ Bayswater the time. I Liked Ians boat so much I bought one myself. But am in S Island these days so not so many 88's to beat down here!

Think u used to have a half share in 10.20 if ur the same max im thinking of.

Red line your memory is good.

I have a share of Revolution A Farr 1104 with Jono (Safety at Sea)

Over the last few years we have been using Revo for crusing & white sails racing, including some short handed stuff.

I still get out on No worries when Ian has it out. Always good for a blast.

Max

post-11446-141887184554.jpg

post-11446-141887184556.jpg

Archived