Boat delivery from bay of islands to Australia - Newcastle

I hope you can help me.

I have found a NZ boat in the bay of islands that has tickled my interest.

I asked the question " what sort of safety gear do delivery skippers need supplied?"

The response was that the boat must be Cat 1 to leave! Is that right?

If so what is involved? What are my options?

At worst I will be doing some coastal stuff in OZ!

Any advice on good delivery skippers I can talk to?

How much should you pay for a delivery like that?

She is a great DD kauri, 36 foot virtually new with all the gear (SSB, Radar, Wind Generator etc) just NO safety gear.

I know she needs gear, but cat 1 will break the bank!

Any ideas?

They won't let you leave without it, and probably you won't be able to find a skipper willing to leave without most of what they require for Cat 1.

The only potential way around it is to get it registered as a Aus vessel. This is a longshot though.

Or put it on a ship, you might find the costs are comparable if you are building up to Cat 1 from scratch.

Ad from Burnard International to your right as a starting point.

Hi Johnathon,

We run a power and yacht delivery business with experience in going both ways and more than happy to talk to you about the whole delivery process. The other replies are correct about costs and the Cat 1. The Cat 1 process is to ensure that the yacht is sound enough for the trip (both structure and equipment) and the crew have the qualifications and experience to safely complete. My advice is not to go the cheap way - after all it is your yacht and you want to get it there in one piece. I would also involve either a surveyor or Cat 1 Inspector at the beginning of the purchase process otherwise it could end up costing heaps. We have in the past looked at vessels to go across the ditch and have recommended sending it on a ship because of cost/size etc. Our website is http://www.pinnaclepacific.co.nz. Our advice is free and you can use our forms as well with no obligation. We have a Cat 1 Inspector in our pool of staff. So in summary you need to look at the yacht, its equipment, the crew and the time of the year and then be in no real hurry to get there.

Cheers John

john@pinnaclepacific.co.nz

Archived