WBC WS R5 10 July 11

1pm - A good solid 25 NW with good gusts. Slight seas. Overcast.

P1 - I'm standing on the Start boat facing South taking the photo, the fleet is all to the North of the Start boat, it's 10mins odd after the start gun. Hmmm........ been there myself :?

P2 - leading very nicely thank you and off to the wing mark.

P3 - mean while knot far behind knot all was well.

post-646-141887184482.jpg

post-646-141887184484.jpg

post-646-141887184487.jpg

Mr KM! Some great shots - thanks for those! and thanks for taking the time and effort to get wet and start/finish us WBC boys & girls....

Some fun and trying conditions....some gr8 stoies as well!

Gotta love being struck with 30knots + at the finish with a new big main and No1.....BnG was straining at all points....as for thos pesky rafts......

Lets hope the Simrad is know like this??? or do wee......??

Lets hope the Simrad is know like this??? or do wee......??

Maybe a tad more stable whatever it does.

I know it's often hard to get photos of your boat when your on it so it's only a dodgy amateur with a old shitter havin a go.

Happy to help. It takes more than just a pile of yachts to run a yacht race. If we each give a weekend or 2 on the other side I'm sure all our clubs would love it.

Maybe someone has a clever idea. What are the chances of getting a temporary mooring at WBC piles for the duration of next years winter series? Have a Raven 31 thats feeling a little rejected as Sandspit Yacht Club has no winter series and to sail down and back is a little too far.

thank you from all of us poor boat owners, your efforts are appreciated. funny the offender crew all thought it was a bit windier than the Photo's show. Glad we were able to give the fleet a sporting chance this week.

Yeah what a great day it turned out to be! We did a KMS (Knot Me Start for the uninitiated :lol: ) being pretty much bang on time for 10 minutes late! I hate it when squalls arrive right on start time - had to reef so we opted for the mark foy start. Bit short staffed so we took the conservative option and no extras. That last 500 metres was just plain fun! And I really felt for the poor patrol boat crew who were sheltering inside out of the driving rain and stinging hail! Actually to be fair we were worried that BnG might do a round up as we passed them. We HAD to pass them to weather and bear down to the finish - not what we really wanted to do but it certainly made for high speed action! But Team BnG had it nicely under control though and sailed a bloody good race and I'm sure they thought they were gonna get line honours - which they might have had the squall not come through. So Team Offender took its usual two places in the rankings and all is good with the world :thumbup:

funny the offender crew all thought it was a bit windier than the Photo's show.

Your funny crew is, for a change, quite right, the photos don't show it anywhere as exciting as it actually was. The noise as it hit the Patrol Boat roof was hell loud.

The Patrol Boat crew were sheltering hard just waiting some some boat to come out of the haze and T Bone us, specifically a pitchfork like machine or a carbon prod being ridden by JH. At one stage we nearly lost sight of the finish mark 25 odd mts from us. A day of many differing weathers. We motored home in 5-8kts of breeze with power sun.

And did ya like the way we thru in a random Stb course rather than the usual Port. Just trying to keep ya on ya toes :thumbup:

Good tight racing right thru the fleet. Had a call this morning from a Akl Marauder wanting to come up and play with all the WBC one in 2 weeks. Also a birdie tells me one or more many hulled machines want to pop up and give RO a hurry up :lol:

Yes it was a day of contrasts! We could barely motor into the wind that's how fierce it was, couple with a strong outgoing tide and we just deiced to wait & let it pass - which it did. And yes we then motored up the river in blazing sunlight, steam rising off the land all around, got quite hot even!

We will welcome all from far & wide! We are pleased to have Scenario - one of Auckland hottest Marauders - racing with us from GHYC, I know Tim Dubyah on TW wants to come up and have a lash with us when the weather is more suitable for making the drag up & back. The more rafts the merrier!

A big thank you to the team on the patrol boat, without whom we could have races, and not to forget the bbq & bar volunteers too. Last but by no means least Colin who has given me the winter off as handicapper and now understand what it is like to be loved by only one crew per division per race.

KM who is not even a member of our club, mate I can't thank you enough for giving up your time to help us. Your spot on the start line for the short handed series is pre-booked! Of course I don't expect it to be crowded 10 minutes after the start! :lol:

Maybe someone has a clever idea. What are the chances of getting a temporary mooring at WBC piles for the duration of next years winter series? Have a Raven 31 thats feeling a little rejected as Sandspit Yacht Club has no winter series and to sail down and back is a little too far.

I like the idea, just not sure if it will be possible though. The difficulty is that our moorings are well subscribed to, with a waiting list that is long. That being said there are usually marinas available during winter at Gulf Harbour. We'd love to have another R31 down to race as we have two regular racers, another irregular racer and another member has just bought one, so bring 'em on!

Archived