Everyone please be nice to little Jordan

yeah but carbon explodes when in tries to wrap round the gunwale after falling off the wire. alloy just bends, get back on board bend it back again and off you go

We use a piece of PVC pipe as a tiller extension. cost 2.50. if and when you crash, it bends well enough that it wont poke holes in your body.

Also, I have to admit, that after having read most of this thread and the thread that started it, I think that Mr Harkin's enthusiasm is something we should be proud of. If I'd had half the enthusiasm he has I might have made more rewarding choices in my life. Not that my life is completely unrewarding, but one always wonders about what may have been...

But I also agree that one thing which is hard to nail down when one is younger is focusing on one or a few points and doing them really well. I for one still want to do everything and learn everything, experience everything. But with only one life in which to do it and that to be totally awesome in everything would require a number of lives, one has to realize that the rewards for doing a few things very well, outweigh the probable outcomes of doing everything OK.

I do see Harkin's point about wanting to go out for a sail in next to no wind and still having a rollicking good time. It's great to be able to sail, while everyone else drifts. Or worse (or is that better?) while every one else sits at the dock waiting for the wind to come up.

Archived