Sailing Around Little Barrier

Clipper

I have not sailed around Little Barrier before.

My crew for next simrad tells me - "huge wind shadow on the windward and leeward sides and double wind strength on the other two sides."

Anyone got any helpful advice on how to get around quickly?

Make sure you are the last boat to the island so you can spot the holes. There is alot of passing lanes. Awesome experience and beautiful island (if you get there before dark)

Always makes me think of Jurassic Park. It's been different every time really. But yes, pays to stay way wide on the Northern side in the SW. And prepare yourself for a hiding coming back out the eastern side. Typical high headland stuff.

Dam boring race tho, mostly a long run or reach out there, figure out how you get around in the best breeze and then several hours on the wind to get home

Anyone got any helpful advice on how to get around quickly?

Aeroplane.

I raced around once, said I'd never go around again and well, you know how you forget the bad bits and repeat your stupid mistakes? Well, that once hasn't worn off yet.

We did one LB race and only tacked once the entire day, no gybes. Bit ho-hum really.

LB is a cool Island up close though but I'm pumping for SSANZ, no pressure Zen, to pick SH Course 2 for R3. Lots of corners and we need corners or Otto just gets shitfaced and we may have to chuck him in a marina trolley to get him to the car park...... again :twisted: :lol:

The dude did 90% of a full Mt Gay between the finish and getting off the boat, on top of the days re-hydrations. I am using 'getting off' in lieu of the more accurate 'faceplanting' or possible what was a totally crap attempt at 'Lineline Planking', either way it was frecking hilarious :lol: :lol:

Actually I'd just love for the RC to have to use the heavy weather course again, that was great fun last year.

Banking on a nice gennie run up, bit of a beat across the top and a loose reach back, code 0 would be good (top end).
And that's the other reason we want course 2, anything we can do to bugger up Changed and the other boats, that measure their sail area in acres, the better :twisted: :lol:
drink more beer. that will make you go around quicker

Or at least make you think you did :lol:

Working out how to get more. WT tells me that a prod should be 3m That makes CC half sized. :thumbdown:

Gezz, I'm over the moon about getting a decent headsail with a hoist longer than 8mts and a foot of 3. You've already got twice that and you want more?? Greedy bugger, leave some for the rest of us please :)

Archived