Hurricane Irene

It is by no means a small blow, but yes I do think the Media are Milking it. I think the big issue is the size of population that is in it's path and NY city if it tracks over it, which of course has the Subway system that would possibly get flooded.

My bestman in Annapolis has just battened down the hatches and getting ready to man the pumps literally. He got a sump pump in the basement and just gone out and brought a 12v bilge pump and a deep cycle battery ready for the power cuts. He even got a third backup plan he change the battery from the car.

In 2003 they a storm surge of 8 ft up Chesepeake Bay and the historical part of the town was a couple feet under water.

Just my uneducated weather guess here, but I can't see how it will intensify anymore. Infact I can't actually see how it is going to continue at it's present strength even. It is right on the coast and running up against ever increasingly colder water as it heads North. So surely all the energy is going to be drained away from it pretty quickly.

This looks like being a bit of a fizzer, but with serious rainfall (which saturates the forest) and a moderate gale (40 knots perhaps) these storms can create dreadfull damage to the lovely landscapes around Virginia and Maryland.

I have family there - Annapolis - a hot bed of expatriot kiwi yachtsmen.

Came over us in Marlyland (just on the DC border) last night. Went to a hurricane party, then to the neighbours and drank hurricanes, plus other alcohol.....

Was like a good Auckland winter storm here, but warm. Took power out nearby due to trees falling, but not at our place. Beautiful day today, I just went for a walk with the camera looking for any interesting damage etc, found none.

One of neighbours trees, about 80 feet high is currently held up by large ropes to adjacent even bigger trees, but that happened in the earthquake.

This looks like being a bit of a fizzer, but with serious rainfall (which saturates the forest) and a moderate gale (40 knots perhaps) these storms can create dreadfull damage to the lovely landscapes around Virginia and Maryland.

Take a look at this. Very sad about the lovely covered bridges which, to New Englanders, have much the same status as do our Classic Yachts.

For those of you who might ask, they were built a century or so ago, before Timber Treatment, and the covers were to protect them from rot.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/30/us/30vermont.html?_r=1&nl=todaysheadlines&emc=tha2

Archived