Thoughts Please

Quite frankly as a leadswinger sailor at the moment I find the word Unleaded offensive and are going to complain to the Race Relations Omburkstwat.

Otherwise I do quite like it ;)

Its not that I don't like mono's it's just i had to have an angle for my design so I choose multi's . and a little less rum and a little more constructive feed back please

So, what is the vital information that you need to get across?

From that brochure (admittedly its too small for me to read the text on the brochure) I'm having to work hard to get that its about a mutihull race series.

It might be because I'm a monohull sailor, or an old fart or an idiot, but the whole "Unleaded" thing doesn't immediately make me think of multihulls or racing. Clearly, that's just me.

There are several vital bits of information that you need to communicate, right? So, there's a race series and you're taking the opportunity to throw sh*t at monohulls and there's a website to get more information. Is that what you want to communicate?? Cos, that's what I'm getting. Its basically a glossy propaganda exercise in raising a finger toward a section of the sailing public. I'm probably not your target audience so my comments may not actually mean very much.

So, what is the vital information that you need to get across?

From that brochure (admittedly its too small for me to read the text on the brochure) I'm having to work hard to get that its about a mutihull race series.

It might be because I'm a monohull sailor, or an old fart or an idiot, but the whole "Unleaded" thing doesn't immediately make me think of multihulls or racing. Clearly, that's just me.

There are several vital bits of information that you need to communicate, right? So, there's a race series and you're taking the opportunity to throw sh*t at monohulls and there's a website to get more information. Is that what you want to communicate?? Cos, that's what I'm getting. Its basically a glossy propaganda exercise in raising a finger toward a section of the sailing public. I'm probably not your target audience so my comments may not actually mean very much.

SD, don't listen to these kind of people. they are just very negative.

Grinna, its a school project and she wants to promote a multihull regatta how in the slightest way is she trying to pull the finger to keel boats?

thats like saying if someone decides to hold a regatta just for 88s does that mean they are trying to throw s**t at other types of boats?

How about you post a bigger image and show panel size and how you want it to fold (concertina or roll fold) etc, it looks to be about 200 x 200 rather large for people to put in there pocket and take away as a reminder ( DL is the norm).

From a production point of view, You would most likely want to print on a 200gsm stock to give a nice feel to the design, your text is running a bit close to the edge at the bottom of the front page and will give the printer issues expecially if you go digital , there will also be a lot of ink (toner) on the folds so you will most likley have a cracking issue again more of a problem if digitally printed.

thanks very much for giving me a proper answer , its a concertina. um we have ink printers at school oki ones or something . yeah thats what my teacher said about the folds , i'm gonna have to print it out heaps to get the spacing right for the folds , i am also having height issues . the text by the edge is not very import for the most of is . i was mainly just wondering if you guys got front cover.

I like the look overall but I think the message would get across faster if you had a multihull on there rather than a monohull, kind of like its using valuable space to show 'what it is not' rather than 'what it is' which is confusing at first glance. It took me a few looks to register that the lead keel was crossed out, and the picture is what needs to grab your eye right. just my thoughts on it. Actually I saw a bridge and mast/tower at first glance. maybe a multi shape in front of the bridge/banner because thats an eye catching part. good luck.

Stop trying to sling off at Monos, Stop trying to be funny and clever.

A brochure or advertisement has to get its message across in around three seconds.

As with a lot of things in Life the KISS principal works best.

Get a good action shot of a Multi. give it a good bold heading and keep the text to a minimum. You have good Graphic skills all you need to do is learn the basics of design.

That just cost you two cents. :D

The thing is getting a good action shot of a multi is actually more difficult than it sounds , i dont have a water proof camera and there aren't alot of multi's up here apart from me , so i'm trying to get around that issue cos i agree with you but i don't have that much time to get that kind of photo so this is my next best thing . I'm really not trying to dissuade mono sailing as i said before, i need an angle and i choose multi's cos that's what i know best.

Set your panel sizes the same and allow 3mm bleed outside the trims this will give you plenty to work with when trimming,

Thanks you have been very helpful with my printing :clap: it's very much appreciated

What i would really love is if you guys could tell me what you see first , whats strongest / weakest and some feed forward partiality with the text cos thats what i had trouble with . i would love a fresh set of eyes to give me a few tips.

Woww, a twitchy audience I see we have here. A yacht is a yacht and the number of hulls it has makes ZERO difference to me, just as it should to anyone else. My lead/offence related comment was 100% in jest, nothing more. I thought that would have been somewhat obvious, apparently knot. Sorry Super D, I really didn't mean to detract from your post like that.

On more constructive angle then -

The 1st thing I saw was the big Unleaded word, it jumps out fast and hard. Then the eyes were drawn to the red splashes. Then the lettering up the mast.

Knot too sure 'Unleaded' jumps out as 'Multihull' though unless you read it all, something many may knot. Maybe it would connect to multis better if one or more multis were shown next to it. If in with an event branding along the Unleaded theme then it would be clearer faster I'd think. My 1st thought on seeing it was 'Petrol...why??', when seeing the word unleaded but then it did make me read the fine print so maybe you could be onto something there. I'd 100% certainly stay with using the 'Unleaded' theme though, I do like the connotations and the 'fun' angle it conjurers in the head. Do like the colours and the way they are used. Knot too sure the graphic of the keel bit, top right, fits in that well though. It just seems a bit 'sterile or contrived', for lack of the right word/s, next to the photo type graphic along the bottom.

And if your wondering how effective it maybe.... I did actually go and suss http://www.unleaded.com just after I saw your thingy. I didn't realise it was a school project at the time so I'd say if your actual job was to promote that hypothetical event, I'd think you would be getting paid this week :thumbup:

It's knot a real web address by the way but some dude called Frank will sell it to you if you want.

It would be nice to look at a bit bigger version if possible.

That was funny KM, I'd give you a Mount Gay but you'd probably just drink it.
I've given up drinking again.......about 2 seconds after I came too this morning.
The thing is getting a good action shot of a multi is actually more difficult than it sounds , i dont have a water proof camera and there aren't alot of multi's up here apart from me , so i'm trying to get around that issue cos i agree with you but i don't have that much time to get that kind of photo so this is my next best thing . I'm really not trying to dissuade mono sailing as i said before, i need an angle and i choose multi's cos that's what i know best.

do you have to take the picture yourself? or can you get someone elses? I have a few good ones and so do a lot of people on this forum.

One vital thing missing is a sexy chick, all promotional material needs a girl on it!!!!

One vital thing missing is a sexy chick, all promotional material needs a girl on it!!!!
Ah the shallow Kiwi male, it's a wondrous thing, often totally deluded but still a wonder to behold at times :lol: :lol:

But you do have a good point. We have a lady on our logo, an old school 1940's like graphic you see painted on the nose of WW2 bombers, and she gets a huge amount of comments from both sexes. She is often the 1st commented on thing. No she isn't naked.

Archived