Bureaucracy

I know I do rattle on about it, but I really do believe we need to be continually aware or we will lose something important.

WIthout doubt the worst place is the East Coast of the US , particularly Florida, and Queensland has long had a bad reputation, but look at some of these posts from a thread on CF - it gets closer.

Yesterday, I was once more reminded of the pains of living-aboard in NSW Australia. After a favorable sail from Newcastle to Swansea Heads I moored on the 24 hr courtesy buoy in the channel waiting for a morning bridge opening. 11.05 I was through the bridge and roped off at a public wharf sign posted 2 hour limit. So what do you know, here come the Water Police! Next minute the officer is subjecting me to a barrage of abuse accusing me of overstaying my welcome at the wharf and of having done the same at Newcastle. He also asked when I was going to get a permanent mooring.

I was quick to point out the 2hr limit posted on a sign and the fact I regularly paid for use of the particular wharf at Newcastle. Noting, in a slow boat like mine, it was good seamanship to wait at the wharf where I was being questioned until the tide turned so I did have to battle the strong current in the channel. I also stated my legitimate reason for being in Newcastle and the fact that I had spent part of this time cruising further north around Port Stephens. Then why should I get a permanent mooring when I have just about got the boat ready for some serious cruising?

Really though, why should I have to justify anything to these authoritarians when I was not committing a violation? Then again, even in a criminal matter you have a right to silence and a presumption of innocent till proven guilty.

Yet I was subjected to nothing but harrasement. I am also sure that the issues the officer tried to argue where out of his jurisdiction and matters for the Maritime Services Board (MSB). Strangely, I did have a much more friendly conversation with the MSB when they did a patol around my boat in Newcastle and they had no issues with my movements. So what's the story with the cops; in their limited mentality, just because I actually use my boat, am I now some sort of second class citizen or even parasite ?

and some responses:

Call me a cynic but the water police are really just a state sanctioned protection racket.

Twice I needed their help. Both times they never bothered showing, did not log the call and couldn't give a flying *&^& about it. However, if they need their quota for the monthly budget, they'll be onto ya.

In Qld, they are the same.

Best police money can buy!

Don't fool yourself, they have quite a lot of power, and many are not afraid to use it in an illegal manner.

Motor cycle riders in Victoria are all getting GPS, head cams, bike cams, front and rear because of the vicpol attitude,

I copped in WA from the national parks officer on Rottnest Island, pulled into a deserted bay in front of the Quokka Arms Hotel, after a 2 day single handed passage from Margaret River, hooked onto an outside buoy, next instant, a big rib pulls up and some uniform starts writing out a ticket, without a word. " Have to book the moorings over the net pal, here's ya fine and ph off now. Happy Easter!" I did not know anything about it, no signs etc?

It's a long thread but you get the idea, and to be fair there were opposing posts, but it is there and it is happening.

why are you suprised, Aussie and especially Queensland yachties have suffered this creeping sickness for several years now, with mis-interpreted rules etc. "The coastal passage" suffered hacking attacks, apparently from government sources.

As I have reported previously I get checked out by the navy/police/customs several times every summer here in NZ, just for have a foreign looking yacht. The next step will be checking your holding tank, or if you have enough fire extinguishers/ life jackets Etc Etc.

It isn't just boaties who cop it, look at compliance costs for building / subdivision / resource consents etc.

The small man (english of course) in a white coat at the car park has moved upmarket, there is no thought of helping, the only desire they seem to have is to frustrate and hinder. The poms call them Jobsworths.

Same guys, same boat (most of the time) We fly the NZ ensign, we have NZ registration, they take photo's, brain fade maybe. I don't really mind, but it fits in with the paranoia/fear trap that the yanks now find themselves in and is slowly infiltrating the NZ conciousness.

Rather like this guy that Key says has al kaida links, not been charged, taken his passport off him, they wont tell him what they suspect him of, everything is so super secret that they would probably have to shoot you if they told you. Spooks budget doubled, I guess they have to try to find something to spend it on and if they cant tell anyone what they are up to they cant be found out whatever it is they are or aren't doing.

Yeh its the cops that are getting a real benefit from all this terrorism fear. No doubt the budgets have increased heaps and they have to justify the money. Must feel real good protecting society from all these terrorists and smugglers. I mean more people are getting killed by the "Good Guys" in afganistan than ever died from terrorism and they are mainly families. The propaganda we are spun is incredible.

I think overall there has been a tendency to discourage "nomadic sea hippies" almost world wide! People who "just turn up" on a country's doorstep then work illegally the moment the backs turned! Who sneak contraband in and sell it to the poor gullible locals or threaten the environment with all manor of lethal pests and diseases then take off with historical artifacts hidden aboard......OK, I am playing the devils advocate here but you get the drift? The way most countries seem to discourage visiting yachts is with high fees and if the visiting yachtie can afford that, then over the top permits and inspections. Really, the "freedom of the sea" is no more if you decide to mix it with the land which is a shame as it once was a honored and respected mode of transport that the few have ruined for the many. Authorities now look at any boat user as a potential menace let alone those who have just traveled over a 1,000nm! Thankfully here in NZ we seem to still maintain a commonsense attitude to responsible adventurers which will no doubt change too..... given time. But I still don't know why as a single hander I need to carry a throw rope!!?? :roll:

just for have a foreign looking yacht.

How can you have a "foreign Looking" Yacht?? And I doubt those guys would have a clue what was foreign and not anyway. NSW has had this issuer for sometime now. I really don;t think it will be something we will ever see happen here in NZ. And if it ever did, we have plenty of channels to go through to address it.

just for have a foreign looking yacht.

I really don;t think it will be something we will ever see happen here in NZ. And if it ever did, we have plenty of channels to go through to address it.

1) Why?

2) I wish I hd your confidence.

1) Why?

2) I wish I hd your confidence.

Well, maybe wishfull thinking. But I think mainly because about the only thing Kiwis stand up for, is when they think some Law pushing Authority is going too far.They will make a right song and dance about it. The majority of Kiwis may let everything else in this country roll them over, but when it comes to a challenge to their God Given Lawful right, a button is pushed.

They definitely know their yachts, I was with some kiwi mates, who like me had an imported boat, a "Tayana", registered in NZ and NZ flag flying, when they (the Hawk) pulled alongside they identified the model and were within a couple of years of when she was built. Asked all the same questions they had asked me, flag and rego seemed to be ignored. Polite, courteous, doing what it is that they do.

Overseas yacht= radar, wind generator, steps up the mast, solar panels, roller furlers, self steering, 2 head sails, Dodger, often with elaborate sunbrella cockpit protection. etc. etc. plus In my case alloy hull, well salt streaked. And I was wearing a French Beret!! :lol: :lol:

Arr well there ya go then. I was ticking off the list with yip got that, yip got that, then I read French Beret. And there ya have it. It's not the foreign yacht part, it's the fact ya looked French. :wink:

Archived