Easter Cruise

We borrowed a boat (see who can identify it?). Had to wait while Angela opened the shop Sat, then I had two deals being negotiated by Sat night so we got down to the boat late Sun and stayed away till tues, in spite of the weather forecast we had a great time, good sailing, fresh fish, even got attacked by pirates on the Soren Larsen.

post-3043-14188715784.jpg

post-3043-141887157842.jpg

post-3043-141887157845.jpg

post-3043-141887157847.jpg

post-3043-14188715785.jpg

post-3043-141887157857.jpg

post-3043-14188715786.jpg

There were Kahawai boiling up the whole north coast of Waiheke and out into the firth on friday . Never used so much diesel in a few days holiday before..

So that explains why Pork Chop was looking for a boatbuilder to do keelwork after Easter....was he anticipating you hitting something Squid? :)

Nice thought, but no. In fact his previous encounter with something solid nearly stopped us enjoying our Easter Break.

Mind you, as a cruiser that's a bloody deep keel to watch out for!

Tell me about it BB. Used nearly 10lts and that usually lasts us 2 months. Knot the best weekend to own a yacht.

But we did catch fish bigger than Squids. A MONSTER Kahawai, a huge beast and rather yummy I must say. Also on 3 occasions I caught 2 snapper at once, which was somewhat bizarre. One on the main hook and another on the keeper.

We had one decent sail and that was coming back across the Firth on Monday. all the rest.. takatakataka.

10 litres!...I wish... I might have to organise a tanker :D

One advantage of using everything you have is to be able to refill 20 litres a time and really get that tank calibration right. :lol:

I'm such a lousy fisherman my family has only ever eaten kahawai. 1/2 an hour sea to pan and its fine.

We came across the most monstrous kahawai boil up I've ever seen at christmas out at barrier. I thought it was trevally first , the fish were packed so tight their backs were out of the water ( only they were silver .. not that brown look the trevally get) 3 schools which would come together and then split up.. about the size of a football field at times, and doing that whole mexican wave reaction thing they do when they spot you.

Big suckers they were .. same size as the ones we were picking up off Waiheke on friday. We were hooking them on softbait rigs and just having a ball.

IMG_5569_27.jpg

When I do a flight to the Coro Penn for lunch or whatever it is very common to see big schools in the Firth and semi-outer gulf.

Yeah BB, why do so many think Kahawai isn't for eating. It's yummy but best to quickly lop off their head. We also iki all fish fast. Snapper is a tad nicer for a quick pan fry but Kahawai is great for lots of other options as it holds together a tad better. The remains made a spectacular fish curry last night. The rest was pan fried in butter (real stuff) with just a hint on lemon pepper.

As for the wasters who use Piper for bait, probably the same heathen pricks who put coke into Mt Gay. There really should be some law banning such dodgy practices.

So that explains why Pork Chop was looking for a boatbuilder to do keelwork after Easter....was he anticipating you hitting something Squid?

Alas no I had a brain explosion few Wednesdays ago and cliped a brick off the Parnell Baths..nothing major but does need a little work...

Glad you had a good time David... I see my hat made it thru to the end of Easter!! Solid, she was on her last legs when I last saw her...wish they'd make hats that last more than a summer.....but cost nothing!

:lol: Yep, I left mine on the bed at home so was very gratified to see you left it for me, just a bit worried the hole was over my bald spot!!!!!!.

Nearly had an overboard drill when it landed on that SS thing at the back that you hang the ladder on.

Great break - I'm still grinning.

probably the same heathen pricks who put coke into Mt Gay

Thanks KM, I count myself in that group of wanton heathens. But at least I would never sully a fine scotch malt in the same way. Mt Gay and coke is one thing. A 15yr old Balvenie is quite another.

We had a wonderful Easter too. Raced to Coro on Friday, stopping about midway as the wind lost interest in the race. Finally made it across in 4 hours 40 mins - quite a bit slower than our previous 2 to 2 1/2 hours.

party on the beach Sat, with a pirates and wenches theme.

No fish of mention on Saturday, but Sunday saw us with a giant Kahawai - filets were over an inch thick!, and a keepable snapper. This was followed by a near perfect sail across the Gulf to about 1nm off Ruthes Passage, where again the wind lost interest.

Another near perfect sail back to the ramp on Monday.

One of those weekends you just wish would never come to an end. And yes, I too still have a big smile on my face 8)

Archived