5 tonne cat comming to NZ?

interesting and looks good but i hope he has his design right and it holds together,its a long trip they are planning and i wish them well . Still 5 tonne would be pretty lightand the pictures and speed of build look more like house building than boatbuilding? a similiar size home designed cat built near Coromandel broke up in the gulf and was towed into Tryphena. The owner managed to put it back together with shorter beams ,he has it in Little Shoal Bay at times.

Something makes me go "hmmmm", with this. I have a few little alarm bells ringing in my head. Notice on one picture, that there is a Nail plate joining two pieces of timber together.

None of the timber is laminated

The ply looks like cheap construction ply

Every thing is all square, so I assume it is his own design. Eeek!

The weight seems too light for a 65ft timber/ply/glass Cat. It would be light for a 65ft mono.

So where does the mast go??? Like there seems to be no provision for taking that strain on the cabin top. Of course it is a little hard to see with just a few picts of an early biuld stage, but something seems missing.

Stresses are taken in such a different way in a Cat and there seems very little to take the huge strains between hulls. If the floor is light, then the roof needs to be strong as well, to be the other "plane" of sharing that load between hulls, but that construction ain't going to take any strain.

Hmmmmmm!!!. :problem:

I don't claim to know a damn thing about boat building, but on the face of it, I can't help looking at it and thinking it looks more like a house build than a boat build? Those nail plates are definately a worry and I bet they're not stainless.

Five ton! and it will probably do twenty knots first day out. there is a Tuis ad in there somewhere.

Bigger than the average house, nine bedrooms. then add the dishwasher, washing machine, fifty inch TV and maid quarters.

some one will be drooling with envy, Knot Me.

Your right Offender, I do love the style indeed.

I've got a set of plans for one very very similar, just a bit more roundness in the hulls. Construction is also very similar.

Archived