Fast Company

If you were racing last night you may have spotted Fast Company having a little dance with the harbour bridge. I'd just like to clarify that this had nothing to do with the owner, Tony Smith, and all to do with me.

Tony went into hospital for some fairly major surgery on Monday. He's doing well, but won't be back on the water for some time. Tony kindly lets me take his boat out when he's not around. We kept the rig up in reasonably lumpy conditions in the SIMRAD 100, but I managed to mash the mast into the bridge in 5 knots of breeze. All's good, nothing a couple of hundred $ wont fix, we will back racing next Wednesday.

I've told Tony what happened, he's perfectly OK with it (phew!!!!!), but for those of you who know him, appreciate it if you don't call him to tease him about wrapping his boat into the bridge. Right now he needs to recover from his surgery and not get stressed about his boat.

You broke FC??, bugger.

You're probably lucky Tony is in hospital, if he wasn't and saw you do that to his baby you may have been :) :)

Hope he's all good or will be shortly.

I'll escape A&E as long as Fast Company is repaired by the time Tony leaves hospital! He was more worried about how difficult it is to get the new mainsail up.

He's a lot better today thanks KM.

I think the next harbour crossing should be a tunnel

fast company perhaps while you are doing it you can put some decent nav lights on your bow and take the candle sticks off so we don't nearly crash into you in the next simrad.

Send It, why dopn't you PM that info instead of highlighting it here

That's an interesting comment.

Do you think safety deficiencies like this should be kept quiet?

G'day "piebuss" A thought here, Please. Just what part of the conversation do you not understand. The care - the understanding - the compassion - - or what???????

The 'owner' is in the hospital - recovering from an operation. He doesn't need ANY added stress & as I fellow sailor I thought you would have some compassion & understanding. How silly of me!!

For Gawds sake - SHUT UP & use you head to think - not the other end. We don't want to go down you pedantic path. Caio. james

PS Good advise I got @ 6 yrs old; Engage brain before mouth - try it !! I've found at 70 + yrs - it works - really well!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi Piebus

As Silver Raven has said, TJ has just admitted an embarrassing incident (good on him for manning up to it so publicly), Tony's in Hospital, and Send it decides to put the boot in while they are down.

I feel Send it should have mentioned it by PM at the time but not now in such a public forum.

I am getting just a little bit dissapointed in my multihull compatriots at their arrogance and righteousness, and their slagging off of other's vessels. Not everyone can have the best, and would suggest, as Silver Raven has suggested

Engage brain before mouth

My comment had nothing to do with Tony being in hospital. That's bloody aweful, and I hope he's doing better now. I imagine nav lights are the least of his worries right now.

Whoever is sailing his boat should be worried about them, and that is the issue.

If you think it's alright to sweep safety issues under the mat then you're a twit and should not be on the water. Perhaps internet forums are where you belong.

If your reason for the comment was to avoid having the issue brought up while Tony is in hospital then I can understand that.

Silver Raven, what's the significance of the "brackets"?

Woody

Hey guys, Tony's operation was on his foot/ankle and afterwards he'll be up and running better than before.

Not like it's life threatening so I suspect he'll be able to take anything slung his way?

We all do make mistakes. So informing us all who was to blame, especially when the owner is knot onboard, is most helpful so others do not make false accusations or put their foot in their mouths yet again, is most helpful.

A personal comment about a boat is helpful but a PM would be better. General comments that all those xxx class boats have lousy lights are fine publically.

Personally I am surprised at how many big flash boats have badly placed nav lights, yes both yachts and launches. The object is to be seen EASILY, knot how easy is it to enter stealth mode. Afterall, any boat with badly placed or shielded lights, blown bulbs or incorrect sectors is a real danger to us all.

Yet it is relatively cheap and simple to get it right.

There are GOOD BRIGHT LED sidelights for $50/pair of Red & Green bowlights and White LED stern lights are less than that.

Hopefully I will BE SEEING YOU OUT THERE :thumbup:

Yeah, I'll take it on the chin about the nav lights too. We thought they looked fine in the harbour but obviously not so thanks for the helpful and constructive feedback that they don't work at sea. That was never the intention, they will be replaced if FC is to go beyond rangi light again

Guest Saturday Night Special

If people are solely looking for nav lights they are an accident waiting to happen. actually have someone watch for boats especially if your on a bloody big quick raft.

Piebus

I made the comment for 2 reasons

1. Don't kick a man while he's down

2. Should have been done straight away and privately. As TJ said, they did not realize the nav lights were insufficient, so Send it would have been doing more of a service in informing him sooner. We don't need to know that his lights are dim, but he does.

Piebus

I made the comment for 2 reasons

1. Don't kick a man while he's down

2. Should have been done straight away and privately. As TJ said, they did not realize the nav lights were insufficient, so Send it would have been doing more of a service in informing him sooner. We don't need to know that his lights are dim, but he does.

That's great mate. :thumbup:

I still think you've got quite the nerve calling me arrogant and righteous without even knowing me. That was a bit presumptuous and personal..

But whatever... Water under the bridge.

Piebus

The 'arrogance' that I tagged to individuals was not at all directed to you and I'm terribly sorry that you thought that way.

I directed it to my fellow Multi compatriots, so please don't feel slighted.

Just in case you are also a multi sailor, (and apologies to mental outlook) I should clarify a bit further...

Not ALL multisailors are this way inclined in my view. The vast majority are great blokes, and a lot are very good sailors, and I enjoy racing with them.

Crickey!!

can no one make an observation/suggestion! There are some highly strung people on this site. John Mi you are one of the biggest sh*t stirs out of the multihull sailors! Just go back and read your posts.

Rat I was on lookout to leward and really if you look at their navlights they are pathetic. We were not a fast moving raft at the time as the wind was so light.

I did inform them on the water. it is a comment for their own safety. we want to be seen to make sure we don't get hit. It's not our boat we sail and the owner kindly lets us use it for the simrad so we want to return it with no damage.

Some of you need to get off your high horses and check in with reallity.

:x :x :x :x :x

Send it,

I'm a sh*t stirrer, sure, because a few of you, that seem to think things must be done a certain way is the only way, and unfortunately anyone that disagrees with your way is called a sh*t stirrer. The others who don't agree with you few would rather keep the peace and keep quiet.

Why didn't you just send him a private message, instead of embarrassing him on this forum?

What is all this fuss about seriously? The guys just suggested while the riggers are up the mast he looks at the nav lights. Actually quite tack fully considering Russell's normal approach :-P (Thats twice in a month you have been tackful if you count the TVNZ thing russell - u've changed!)

Think this has once again been blown stupidly out of proportion and the sand has been tipped from the sandpit one more time.

Archived