Repower Lombardini??

candela

In larger boats, I have heard brilliant things of John Deere motors - admittedly they are not ground up marine designs, but they are industrial engines, designed for max power at low RPM, and to do extended hours.
I think you maybe talking the 'Lugger' motors made by JD, people rave about those. So much so 2 odd years ago JD decided to stop making them and the up roar was so large they started making them again. Big bits of steel that do bugger all revs and use very little fuel but will continue to do that for 10,000's of miles no stop. Very commonly seen in Nordhavens and other trawler style fizz nasties.

85 hp John Deere in a 29 footer? And I worry about posting while I'm pissed!

Anyway;

Bad Kitty has 40 hp Yanmars and sail drives. Engines have been fine but the sail drives are a f*#%ing disaster.

Rebuilds after 2 years, dealer backing away from warranty until threatened with razor blade reprisals etc etc.

Untold hundreds of boats with problems with the cone clutches on their Yanmar sail drives on sailing forums (which we never look for till we are also a victim)

50kgs per side heavier than Lombardini, but I was worried about the Lombardini not having many installations in NZ when we fitted out the boat about 5 years ago.

Jon V, of Occums Razor and X Box has had Lombardini and liked them, might be worth tracking him down for a chat, 50 kgs probably means more to multi's but it's better on the keel than in the engine room.

Good luck with the search,

Ah yes but I bet the Whiting 29 wasn't designed with a big flappy trim tab thing (planing tab?) to take advance of the 100 hp!

Which the Edlin was!

How's that for instant recall of boating design trivia while drinking rum & tropical punch while anchored at Nananu I Ra in the far north of Fiji!

:wave:

Not bad you must only be up to your 3rd rum BK.

It looks like a pretty useful cruiser, its been for sale forever so clearly no everyone's cup of tea but I quite like it. I think the idea with the open transom was to be able to pull the dinghy up on deck when you want put the hammer down a motor off somewhere at 15kts.

i installed a lombardini in PB about 5 years ago and have had no issues to date. smooth running and light both in weight and on diesel. mind you we are shaft drive so i think our weight was around 99kg versus the old four cyclinder cortina... there are a few others installed in the 32's as its one of the few that fits without major mods. That said i believe one owner, first to install and loads of hours, is having a major rebuild at the moment due to a head gasket failure over a long period which has done some interesting things to the internals :cry: ..., apparently the gasket design is now up to version 6 from the rumour i hear.

In larger boats, I have heard brilliant things of John Deere motors - admittedly they are not ground up marine designs, but they are industrial engines, designed for max power at low RPM, and to do extended hours.
I think you maybe talking the 'Lugger' motors made by JD, people rave about those. So much so 2 odd years ago JD decided to stop making them and the up roar was so large they started making them again. Big bits of steel that do bugger all revs and use very little fuel but will continue to do that for 10,000's of miles no stop. Very commonly seen in Nordhavens and other trawler style fizz nasties.

Im not too sure what they have been referred to as in the past - but they are the powertech motors JD use in the tractors, gensets, industrial engines etc etc. Great engines, which are not at all suited for light yachts unfortunately. I think that the original powertech motors came out around 1993?

Thank you all for great suggestions. I think I might have to have a chat to Kevin Dibley find out what we would need to do to be able to do 20 knots. Can't be that hard to get a 100hp motor in there. Don't think it will help me bet Bays Flyer sailing but if it is looking bad we could just motor past him :)

I looked at the Beta and Nanni when replacing my 17hp volvo MD7B which was coupled to a volvo 120s saildrive. Both have adaptor kits to connect to the 120s saildrive. I also spoke to Ovlov and between them and volpower, they came up with an adaptor kit to bolt the new D1-13 to an older (120s) saildrive.

They did a competitive price (fixed price not an estimate). All three prices were only a couple of hundred apart. They also upgraded the guages etc. Advantages for me were (i) leaving the engine bed in place (also same for Beta and Nanni) (ii) I could leave the existing folding blades as engine rev / blade length / pitch curve worked - would have had to change blades with the Nanni / Beta option as they rev higher - $1,800 saving and (ii) Larger alternator and better instrument panel.

Shouldn't be any reliability or major cost issues with a new volvo. Might save a few $$ on minor spare parts but probably rounding in the scheme of things.

Try Phil at Ovlov in Pine Harbour - was great service. There is an article in the latest Volvo magazine I can send to you if you want. Guys from Engine Room (Andy) and Nanni were great to deal with as well. Shame I only needed one engine!

I saved 80kg moving from the older 17hp (170kg) down to the new 13hp (90kg). Boat sits much better in the water. I was over powered anyway. Stoked with the end result.

I put a Lombardini 502(the 14hp model) in Wairiki late last year, have since done 163 hours. It's never missed a beat. Can't recommend it highly enough. Was also able to carry it on board by myself, so if saving weight is what you are after, seriously consider it.:D

Transdiesel very helpful with installation, signing it off for warranty etc.

Archived