Is "Stainless Steel" a Copyrighted Name?

SloopJohnB

From CR4

http://cr4.globalspec.com/thread/72734/ ... =cr4digest

At first we all laughed at the idea that the term "Stainless Steel" was copy-protected. We thought it was a joke someone was pulling. But as we read the lengthy e-mail from one of our directors, it became apparent that he was serious!

The problem arose when the approval process for an engineering change order was bounced back down the chain of command. Material specs called out in engineering documentation caught some one's attention. Next thing I know there are people arguing over ASTM definitions.

If this is for real, then we are not only faced with delays in product development while this gets sorted out but the amount of work we are faced chasing through archives and changing Stainless Steel to something less offensive will take forever to complete.

Has anyone of you encountered this insanity?

Thanks

Laughing Jaguar

If it has been, then the legal office that allowed it should be drop kicked into next week. I can not see how you could copywrite such a geberal and well used term...or name, or whatever you call it.

If it is, I am off to bag the rights to "gold" and "diamonds" while you guys figure out who got stainless. You are going to spend the rest of your lives paying me via your wives. :thumbup:

At first we all laughed at the idea that the term "Stainless Steel" was copy-protected.

In relation to what?

Like 'Yellow' is a trademark but only in relation to directories and possible variations of that, as I understand it, which isn't that well.

There are 3 active trademarks relating to the term 'Stainless Steel' in NZ. One is a NZ company (a scrap merchant) , 1 Aussie and a Korean. The system is running slow so don't know exactly what they are in relation to. 7 dead records.

Around 400 if you suss 'All Black/s' but many of those were 'rejected' or knot allowed. The NZRU has a pile of active ones in that search... surprise knot! A lot expired ones, many being NZRU ones.

Zero for Sloop, same for Murky, same for Knot Me. 36 for just 'Knot' though. But 202 records for 'Wheels'.

Even the word 'chain' is trademarked, as it the word 'ropes' and 'rope'. Strangely enuff to a Scottish embroidery company... WTF?? again. And they 1st did it in 1943 and have been renewing it ever since.

But what the hell do you reckon this one is for?? 'DUREX AND OF CHAIN' ...... WTF???

just on the off chance perhaps we should all club tgether and register/ trademark the term/ word/ explanation, "lawyer", and while busy with that take the term "ambulance chaser" as a registered/ trademarked name...............just a thought

Archived