Ideas on testing the dampnerss of stringers?

SanFran

Is there any way to do this? All I can think of is the council building inspection guy with the pointy tool that is pressed into the timber when they check houses for pre lining. Ive been on the hard for 6 weeks with the dehumifier going all out, after issue with a leaking log, and stuffing box housing...

Yes the prong thingy is what is used. But why do you need to know? It should not be an issue if water gets into the bilge and they get wet. Which if you have a Stern gland that is the Packing type, you need to have a drip of water coming through it to keep it lubed and cool. One drip every 6seconds is about right. That means you will always have some water that needs pumping out. In one Hull I biult a small box that the log drained into with a small bilge pump in it. That kept the rest of the Hull dry for the owner.

Had a bit more than a drip, sorry to say. several inches every week at its worst. Is a ply boat, and the first layer of ply under the stringers has lost a bit of its togetherness in some areas... Our plan is to scrape and clean it all out, dry as much as possible, and evadure.

What about talking to a building inspector and using one of their thermal cameras? Will show wet spots.

that got a real lol.... Im guessing the whole boat would show as a wet spot

if you're serious about drying out - I'd empty the boat of everything (especially sails, squabs, fabric linings etc), open it as much as you can and then hire a decent blower to drive air through the boat.

done all that. the dehumidifiers being going off and on for several weeks now. Slowly getting on top of it, but still taking out 2-3 litres per day... Sealed up the boat too. Dont know where its all coming from, as the sole feels pretty dry.

I would not bother Evaduring the inner hull. Evadure was proven to be non effective in that roll. When thinned Epoxy cures, it gets left with little holes that allow moisture to get back in again, but was very poor at allowing the moisture back out again, defeating the purpose. What I would do is paint the inside with a single pot Turps based Primer only. This allows two things. Primer "breathes". It allows moisture to breath in and out of the timber, but is a barrier to water. It is like a Semi permeable membrane. Thus you don't have to worry about the timber being tinder dry. Evadure requires it to be very dry to allow the epoxy to really soak in.

The only advantage of evadure is that it will harden up soft timber and has a Biocide to stop rot. If you don't need the Biocide, then use Epoxy resin thinned with about 10% Epoxy thinners and you have the same stuff and it is much cheaper.

What about talking to a building inspector and using one of their thermal cameras? Will show wet spots.[/quote

No it wont! It will only show the difference in tempreture which is not always the same thing.

And you wont find a council with one

Archived