Why is it?

Why is it that we are never satisified especially when giving out advice?

If you take a look at the classifieds there is a guy there looking for a 26' something with a budget of $30k. Simple you would think, knows what he wants and how much he has to spend.

First comment is at $34k and by the time advice is offered at the bottom of the page he's up to $46k and as he's going that far he may as well go to $49K!

I am no different, move over here, get a feel for the market and a budget of $40k and by the time I'm finished spend nigh on 70. First thing I do is start looking for the next one and having had a salary increase found myself at £200k+!!!

Then I decide that it's too much hassle trying to find crew so I think I'll sell and find a dayboat. V640 comes on the market..perfect. I can mess around the race course, only need two others and we can trailer her on holiday to mess around with the family. All for twelve k, bargain. By the time I then think about this a little more, talk to a couple of people etc I'm back in Aus and Europe looking to import a $50k Etchells!!!!!!!!!

If only it were that simple with women...

I dont think anyone knows the the answer to that question :D

What's another 20k? Your going to spend that on your boat anyway right? Might as well get the boat that has all the goodies upfront :wink:

I think you can offer a pretty reasonable price for these boats at the moment. They have been for sale for a while now.

Now all I need to do is win lotto. But then what should I spend. 1 million, 2 million? The problem gets worse at that stage I guess :D

It's because the 'amount' of boat (not necessarily size, but performance, luxury, whatever) does not increase in direct proportion to the cost. It increases exponentially. So by spending say 50% more, you end up with 100% more boat. Simple maffs, innit?

It's because the 'amount' of boat (not necessarily size, but performance, luxury, whatever) does not increase in direct proportion to the cost. It increases exponentially. So by spending say 50% more, you end up with 100% more boat. Simple maffs, innit?

I can't tell if you are joking, but its the other way around... that is you have to spend 100% more to get 50% more boat?

I can't tell if you are joking, but its the other way around... that is you have to spend 100% more to get 50% more boat?

Yeah Clipper, you're on to it, in actual fact speaking directly from my own experience, I doubled the money to get 25% more boat! The sum goes something like:

where b=y$ then y$ x 2 = b x 1.025 - or something like that, I was never good at algebra.

OK, forget the maffs. It's simply one of those irrefutable, universal truths that you always need a bigger boat. Even before you've bought one. They should teach it in physics along with Einstein's Theory of Relativity. V = BT2, where V is the value of the vessel to be purchased, B is the original budget and T is the amount of time spent browsing the 'Moored Boats' section of TradeMe.

Archived