Tight gap

wheels

Wow, not a lot of room to spare. I hve seen pics of the Cannal several times, but no ship in it. This is the first time i have seen a ship. I didn't realise how little room there was. I wonder how much paint is on the Rock walls.

randim.php ship in Canal.jpg

went through there several times in the early 70's, no problem on a yacht, was controlled by traffic lights at the time, you just had to watch out for the chain ferries on the eastern end and that their chains were on the bottom. It must have made a huge difference when it was built, of course shipping was a lot smaller then.

had to watch out for the chain ferries on the eastern end and that their chains were on the bottom.

Hmmm, sounds interesting. What are chain ferries and what do you mean by the chain on the bottom.

had to watch out for the chain ferries on the eastern end and that their chains were on the bottom.

Hmmm, sounds interesting. What are chain ferries and what do you mean by the chain on the bottom.

Chain ferries pull themselves from side to side using a chain or wire rope and winches as opposed to propellors and skill. Much easier, probably more reliable and probably a lot more efficient. When they are "pulling" their way over the river, the rope/chain on the side they are travelling to is tight and will not do nice things to anything which runs into it, on the side they are leaving, the rope/chain is slack and pulls through the mud on the bottom of the river.

If you want the wikipedia version, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cable_ferry

Yes, I went through there a few times in the 80s. Back then it was the most expensive canal, mile for mile, in the world.. (It's very short..)

True, expensive, short and narrow but also tall and saves a lot of time.

Alternatively arn't you lucky you were knot once a lowly slave worker :lol:

Yes, I went through there a few times in the 80s. Back then it was the most expensive canal, mile for mile, in the world.. (It's very short..)

True, expensive, short and narrow but also tall and saves a lot of time.

Alternatively arn't you lucky you were knot once a lowly slave worker :lol:

Oh yess!!!

Archived