south Island cruise

Steve Pope

So many questions and only two weeks to answer them.

Firstly short or fully crewed Experience ?

Secondly are you cruising from leaving dock or is it to bea delivery then cruise ?

Now if it's a slow cruise then the east coast has the options but also often the trickiest weather (ask wheels)

If it was me I would sail north to whangaroa or there abouts

When you see some settled weather coming sail up to north cape area for a last night then leave at daylight next day. 400 nm to Durville so two nights at sea and your there

Then make it up as you go from there, but then you will need to come back up the east or it want feel right.

Have fun and keep us posted.

:mrgreen: :sick: :mrgreen:

+1 for port Underwood, a good place to wait for a window, Oyster Bay is sheltered. Kaikoura has options if weather is settled from north or south, but I didn't stop as it wasn't. Lyttelton is "OK" but Akaroa on the south side is better IMHO, some visitor moorings available. Timaru, Caroline Bay, right in front of the yacht club is good in the right weather, I don't have much info for the harbour itself but apparently there is a med moor arrangement. Oamaru (surprisingly) is a very pleasant stopover. Not well charted but stick hard against the wharf when entering if close to low tide, raft up at the wharf or grab a mooring if one available. Good yacht club across the harbour at the old wharf but a bit of as surge for the dink.

We did Nelson and the sounds a couple of years ago. Houhora is a good jumping off point for when the weather window comes good - may not be diesel there now though.

Also have stopped at Tom Bowling and the little corner anchorage in East Spirits Bay.

Keep well out around Cape Reinga and Van Dieman - at least 5 - 10 miles so you avoid the tide rip. It will slow you down and is messy as we found out. Head straight for Golden Bay. In good weather I think west coast is best option, keeps you away from Wairarapa coast and Cook Strait

Thanks guys for the info, it looks like around the top and probably with first stop at Mana. When we took Gwalarn around to the Kaipara we used Houhora as a jumping off place, 25 miles to the cape, 25 miles across the top, just have to get the tides right! Thanks Splat for the heads up about the updated SI east coast guide, The N.P. Secretary has put a copy in the mail for me. I will have a look at port underwood as well, probably on the way back North.

My grandparents lived at Akaroa until the mid 60's, we spent every Christmas school holidays there. The total xmas population was 600 over the holiday priod.

Had many a great time there. Could call it my spiritual home, great vibes.

When you call in at Mana come and see us. We are happy to help out with transport etc if you need any. Our boat is out of the water at the moment and may still be when you call in. If that is the case our 12 metre berth will be empty if that is of any use to you, if not, we are pretty sure we could find another 1 for you to use. Have a safe trip.

A couple of helpful, hopefully, hints:

1. Try getting a copy of New Zealand Cruising Guide - Central area - most marine book shops sell them - quote ISBN 0-9597848-3-7 - written by the late Ralph Von Kohorn and Keith Murray and is considered by many a 'bible' for cruising in the Sounds. it covers from Cape Farewell to Cape Palliser, Wellington and all the Marlborough Sounds and Nelson and has good advice re tides etc.

2. A private marine radio network covers all the area - it is Marlborough Marine Radio Association and has operates VHF repeater channels 01, 05 (link) 63, 65. They broadcast VHF weather reports and observations at starting 0830,1130 and 1730. They are open from 0700 to 2200hrs daily. A rolling forecast and live observations can be heard on channels 20-23 depending where you are.

3. When in Queen Charlotte Sound use channel 63 and Pelorus Sound 65 and extended coastal area use 01. Picton Harbour Radio and the ferries use and monitor channel 19.

4. The Mana Cruising Club and Waikawa Boat club own and maintain many moorings around the Sounds and have exchange rights with many other clubs. The moorings are generally 3 ton and I have seen upwards of 6 yachts and launches rafted up at times.

5. Havelock is a good little port but has an underserved reputation for sand bars and currents. Follow the markers or a bigger vessel and you'll be OK - beware some of the mussel harvesters, while big, have a shallow draught!

We live in the area and have been boating all around for manuy years and happy to assist with advice etc if required.

Cheers

John B

Archived