2 Handed around Waiheke - Dec 10th

The Devonport Yacht Club brings you:

2-Handed around Waiheke, Dec 10th.

The City of Auckland Cup

Start - Waiheke [passing on the side of your choice] - Finish

The basics are at http://www.dyc.org.nz/sailing/2hand.htm

Full NOR and entry forms at http://www.dyc.org.nz/sailing/NORShortHanded.htm

Good practice for the SSANZ events but comes complete with a sun tan. Sounds like a good fleet again this year and we'd encourage everyone to join us.

Knot Me, Oracle, Rev Blues, Truxton, CC - this is your event.

This is the first race in the Devonport YC Short Handed Series. Single Handed and the legendary 3 Handed Gulf Rally still to come.

Cheers

www.dyc.org.nz

Wish I was doing it but going to take the family out to Rakino instead. What's the accepted wisdom for "which way round" with a bit of a nor-wester for this one, I guess do the close hauled stuff in the flatter water through the Waiheke Channel (except there's the beat all the way up the eastern side), and the fun downwind bit on the outside?

Tide times look good either way.

14 starters today, with a good brisk ENE. Seems like quite a few went inside out, but still awaiting first finisher at about 4pm.

Results will be at www.dyc.org, but I'll try and get them here earlier for those not from the DYC.

great day for a sail. Good breeze with a nice easy seaway down the south side of Waiheke. Would have helped to be on the line at the same time as the other starters though. Both us and T.Rex were late for the start so it took a while to catch up with the tail enders. Did manage to peg back time on te wind and by the time we came out of the Waiheke Channel we were feeling confident that our down wind speed would see us doing well. As soon as we were able to free sheets the pace increased. Up with the masthead kite and we were off. Some good surfs just over the 12s and holding pretty steady at 9. Big roles at times though as sea built under the stern. Hung on and looking good when .... whoops down goes the nose, up goes the stern and we complete the meanest of gybes. Main held on the runners. Boat lying on its side. Sheet run, runner off and up she comes with the big red flag blowing from the top of the rig. Winch in the brace, pole down by this stage, until we can both get a hold of the sail.Slowly drag it in. A good ten minutes lost. Lost the sheet in the process as the clip must have let go when it was flogging. Tidied up, ran the back-up sheet and decided that fractional was the way to go. Finally got the frac.gennie hoisted as we got to the Motuihe Channel. With the benefit of hind sight we should have yanked the pole down a bit to get control of the roles but when you're enjoying the ride and it feels fast it's hard not to just enjoy it. Luckily no damage and we look forward to the rest of the series.

Results should be coming soon, I'll post them here as I get them. Hopefully by the end of the day.

All I know so far is that Azure the 1020 took line at about 1632.

Good to see the non-DYC boats competing, keep an eye here and on the club website for upcoming events.

Provisional results below. There is a protest to be heard, but at this stage we don't believe it'll change positions of the top 10.

Thanks again to all entrants, we look forward to seeing you at the prizgiving this Friday 16th at the DYC. Please note that the time for this has been brought forward to 6pm.

We also look forward to seeing you at the second and third events in our shorthanded series. Next event is the 3 Handed, 3 Day Gulf Rally on the 24th of March. Schedule and SI's at http://www.dyc.org.nz/sailing/sail.htm , we'd love to see you at any other events especially the Cruising Races.

Boat Line HCP

Revolution Blues 2 1

Je Taime 5 2

Top Knot 10 3

Tumua 12 4

Bays Flyer 3 5

Santosa 13 6

Candela 9 7

Corner Bar Cruiser 11 8

Rush 6 9

Azure 1 10

Renown 4 11

T Rex 8 12

Ladybird 14 13

Cool Change 7 14

Spray ll 15 15

Helix DNF DNF

Full results posted at http://www.dyc.org.nz/sailing/2hand.htm soon.

Cheers

Archived