wind range for spinnakers

Scoma

I find the corners tend to come off brand new 1.5 os spinnakers on big boats at about 45 knots TWS.

Little boats tend to get the wobbles and fall over a bit earlier.

With new spinnakers and gennakers, I always ask the owner at the first hoisting, or in stronger winds or both,

"BIG tears or little tears" :?:

Can apply equally to owner or the sail. :lol:

Depends how old or new they are as well, kite cloth can lose a lot of its strength with usage. We used a new 0.5oz chute in the 88 for 2 seasons in winds upto 30 knots and got away with it. The only issue with 0.5oz is it tears really easily catching on things, so 0.6oz is a better all around solution. A good nick 1.5oz will survive anything on a 33fter except dragging it under the boat etc.

hi..

We have a standard 36i with symmetrical spinnakers. Our spinnaker pole is 4.2m in length and our general purpose spinnaker has a foot of 7m and a luff length of13.7m. It is manufactured from .9 oz cloth and we have no trouble running it in 20knots if the wind is behind 110 degrees. If the wind is further forward we tend to be overpowered and round up from time to time. For stronger winds we have a smaller 1.5 oz kite that we have run in breezes of 30knots with the wind well behind us. We are currently having a larger kite made in 1/2 oz cloth for lighter breeze. There are photos of our boat with these sails up in the owners photo gallery.

Your boat has 30cm of extra mast and a slightly deeper keel so your luff length would need to be a little longer and with the deeper keel you should be a bit more stable.

The best kites should be made of cloth of only one colour as then it will be all from one batch. Some colours are not very popular and may have been sitting on the shelf for a year. White cloth is nearly always the strongest as the dying process lowers the strength of the cloth a small amount.

thanks

Archived