ainslie out

I get that he should have AT LEAST got a DGM - in fact he got 2 DGMs, one for race 9 and one for race 10.

I am actually, having reflected upon it, astounded that he didn't get a ban over and above the two DGMs.

You just can't, under ANY circumstances, leap off your boat and onto any other vessels and physically assault someone. The photos at http://sailingpix.photoshelter.com/gall ... 0OMsHe34Io CLEARLY show that this is what he did.

The driver of the rib is holding the throttle and the steering wheel and is beeing bent backwards as Ainsile holds and/or pushes him backwards. That's assault. He might not have punched him, or used a weapon... but it's assault. Later he is holding the guy in the red shirt by the collar rather forcefully. This is less clearly asasault but I suspect if the red shirt guy did lay a complaint with police it would qualify.

Ainslie says he was just trying to move him out of the way to get past him so he could dive for his boat. That doesn't change the fact that he physically assaulted the guy.

As a high profile "poster boy" of yachting, and of the the Olympics (as a triple gold medalist) the standards of behaviour expected should definitely not be any lower than for all other sailors - i.e. he should not get any preferential treatment. In fact, if anything, the standards expected of someone in an exalted position like his ought to be higher.

You can't board another boat, be it a competitor's, a judge's, a spectator's or a sponsor's vessel and physically confront someone (let alone two people). It would be like a rugby player climbing into the stands and charging up to the IRB boss, or a reporter, or a spectator, or a sponsor and grabbbing them by the collar and giving him a verbal lashing, befiore running back down to the field to continue play. It's totally unacceptable.

Soem interesting commentary here http://www.mysailing.com.au/news/editor ... h-but-fair

I 100% agree that he should not have done what he did.

However, I do feel sympathy if what I read somewhere was true. These guys are working their guts out, in a super competitive and high pressure environment and some c*nt in his RIB is puttng up big waves that are disadvantaging you, and not your competition?

You can't board another boat, be it a competitor's, a judge's, a spectator's or a sponsor's vessel and physically confront someone (let alone two people). It would be like a rugby player climbing into the stands and charging up to the IRB boss, or a reporter, or a spectator, or a sponsor and grabbbing them by the collar and giving him a verbal lashing, befiore running back down to the field to continue play.

..and then your sport spending another 10 years wondering why it is so hard to get media coverage? :eh:

Clipper, in my view it is one thing to be a totally-focused competitor but another thing to recognise that the world of top-level sport also involves event organisers, sponsors, the media and the public. Those who can't hold all of those relationships together are putting a natural limit on their careers.

some c*nt in his RIB is puttng up big waves

Did that c**t decide to put the boat there or was that c**t told to put the boat there by some other c**t?

It would be a little unusual I would expect, from some limited experience, the c**t driving made any of the calls at all.

That other c**t possibly being the c**t's Ben and Co want to continue to fund their sailing via sponsorship and/or coverage for his sponsors.

Clipper, in my view it is one thing to be a totally-focused competitor but another thing to recognise that the world of top-level sport also involves event organisers, sponsors, the media and the public. Those who can't hold all of those relationships together are putting a natural limit on their careers.

You don't see camera men running across the rugby field do you. Or the AC race track either. I say fair play to ainslie. Cameras have such powerful lenses now they don't need to be in such close proximity.

Can't agree, if the PC had any guts Ainslie would be excused from all racing until the day before the Olympics.

Send It et al, you must surely know that the appropriate response to being disadvantaged by the actions of race officials / media isn't to jump on their boat and scream at them but to file a protest and seek redress.

The provocation is irrelevant, it may make the response understandable but doesn't make it excusable. Most other sports would flick him for months, and they're sports where there is no option to seek redress which would be somewhat more frustrating for the competitor.

As for Ainslie's comments saying it was blown out of proportion and he was disappointed with the PC decision, errr, perhaps he should be happy he wasn't drug tested because whatever he's on there's surely a law against it.

Have to say though seeing the initial media reports about him swimming to/from his boat, my first thought was "Oh good, finally incontrovertible proof to the pommy media the guy doesn't walk on water.

Send It et al, you must surely know that the appropriate response to being disadvantaged by the actions of race officials / media isn't to jump on their boat and scream at them but to file a protest and seek redress.

Ok so he protests and wins redress. camera boat still hasn't learn't lesson and someone bigger and stronger jumps on next time and actually hits the guy. Nice!!

To imply peanalties are greater in other sports is horse sh*t. couple of rugby players go on a drinking binge and get a slap over the wrist. another gets caught cheating on his wife and still plays. A soccer player says some rascist comment to another on the player and only gets a fine. A punch up starts on the rugby pitch and a player or two may get banned for a couple of games. Dennis conner abuses and pushes one of our most succesful yachtsmen around on the stage on live telly and gets to go to the pub and drink another whiskey. Do I need to go on. Punishment foots the bill and is no less but probably more harsh than other codes. You make me laugh wanting to ban him until the olympics.

If Ainslie jumped off his boat and did that to a volunteer who has taken time off work to help out with the regatta, fair enough kick his arse into touch. The guys in the boat are paid and should know the score and reaped the rewards for their actions.

He was only following his heritage - weren't all the original pirates Pomies, later to be given legal status as Privateer's by the crown. Ainslie's only mistake was to not have it sanctioned by the Queen prior to boarding.

I don't care if the RIB driver held up naked photos of Ben's mother and shouted out that he was going to get more, this time with a goat involved.

It is NEVER acceptable behaviour to jump off your boat and onto any other vessel. I could stop there. That is unacceptable behaviour on its own. To then verbally abuse and/or physically assault people while you are on that vessel, and then dive back into the water and swim back to your boat, just makes it even more unacceptable..

I am sorry, the lack of a ban for that sends the wrong message to opti juniors and others the world over. What it says is, if you are leading a regatta, and you are leading by enough that a DGM would mean you are still leading (i.e you can afford the penalty) then, if you are unhappy with someone or their behaviour, it is perfectly okay to jump off your board, board another boat and abuse and or assault someone, before swimming back to your boat .

That is NOT the right message.

I think his prominently displayed sponsors will likely sort him out - he was messing with their food chain after all. Not his finest hour - but then I have been known to leave my boat to put in a guest appearance on the one next door so who am I to judge.....

Must be nice to bitch about a second in that fleet.....

So do we all need to protest for redress whenever a media boat comes anywhere us in the SIMRADS or Coastal Classic :?:

So far here in NZ, most seem to understand what to do.

Perhaps this is an isolated UK case but it is a pity the RIB driver was not educated, especially when top level competition is involved.

Years of training wasted by fizz boat driver who obviously did it long and often. Some of the photos with the helicopter downwash would seem to be a bigger problem.

Perhaps if the winning skipper could RAF and let them match race again without media fizzboats, could be one solution. Mind you, if Olympic selection was the prize for the winner, then perhaps the first AC race explaination given to Queen Victoria should suffice.

"Madam there is no second."

I don't care if the RIB driver held up naked photos of Ben's mother and shouted out that he was going to get more, this time with a goat involved.

It is NEVER acceptable behaviour to jump off your boat and onto any other vessel. I could stop there. That is unacceptable behaviour on its own. To then verbally abuse and/or physically assault people while you are on that vessel, and then dive back into the water and swim back to your boat, just makes it even more unacceptable..

I am sorry, the lack of a ban for that sends the wrong message to opti juniors and others the world over. What it says is, if you are leading a regatta, and you are leading by enough that a DGM would mean you are still leading (i.e you can afford the penalty) then, if you are unhappy with someone or their behaviour, it is perfectly okay to jump off your board, board another boat and abuse and or assault someone, before swimming back to your boat .

That is NOT the right message.

I beg to differ. I think it is morally acceptable to have a go, physically or otherwise at someone who is "holding up naked photos of Ben's mother and shouted out that he was going to get more, this time with a goat involved."

I wish we could all live in the real world and stop pretending we are all PC angels.

I see the lack of consequences for bad behaviour as quite a problem today.

Bring back smacking kids

Bring back the cane at school

BRING BACK THE BIFF

Go Ben.

We were match racing 15 years ago, and one Jeremy Lomas didn't like two boats touching together, so boarded the other and king hit the first person he could reach - Me. Destroyed my jaw, operation required, and effects my day to day life still. This all in front of the race committee. The penalty imposed by the squadran - he had to write a letter of apology.

Seems nothing has changed.

The fact of the matter is competitive people tend to have an element of mongrel in them which rears its head every now and then. They are not the perfect angels you all seem to think they are. right or wrong ben got his punisment and it probably suits the crime.

What is a real crime is giving that aussie the player of the match award in the cricket!! saw the highlights last night. Wasn't that a fantastic game! The aussie team showed far worse sportsmanship than ben I thought at the after match interviews and awards. So much so the channel 9 comentators rang up and apologised.

We were match racing 15 years ago, and one Jeremy Lomas didn't like two boats touching together, so boarded the other and king hit the first person he could reach - Me. Destroyed my jaw, operation required, and effects my day to day life still. This all in front of the race committee. The penalty imposed by the squadran - he had to write a letter of apology.

Seems nothing has changed.

Did you file an assault complaint with the police?

Archived