North Sea waves

smithy09

One of my workmates posted this on facebook.. It's the Ekofisk Bravo platform and this shot was taken a few days ago. This is about 200 miles south west of Stavanger in Norway. Consider that the height of the lowest deck on the platforms in the North Sea are generally 80 to 100 feet above sea level, then think about this wave.....

Ekofisk photo..jpg

Wow!.

I was told that the Maui platfrom, whichcame from or was designed from the Northsea ones, had to have an extra 10m put on it to survive the Tasman sea.

Not sure about Maui. It may have been a Gulf of Mexico design. They generally can't handle this stuff...

Gulp

David YES double gulp.

1/ Smithy - time to put a reef-in & maybe a storm-jib - but don't be to cautious.

With a wave (not a wave - a bloody mountain) where do you 'stack' the crew - where the hell is the 'windward side'

2/ David - is good 'proa' sailing weatherr???

BUGGER THAT'S BIG The real ocean sure is a scary place. Caio, james

You'd hope like hell they don't have long drops, talk about the bidet from hell :)

I wonder hope much the rig jumps around in that? Smithy any experience there?

I have this urge to go buy a Longboard all of a sudden :?

The punters are probably all sitting in the lifeboat waiting to be launched or have already gone. Big Ocean....

Nah. That's pretty regular stuff in the north sea.

Been out there in that. The steel jacket platforms tend to shudder a bit when waves like that hit them. The concrete ones actually rock on their bases. They are not pile driven, they just have big flat concrete bases. I didn't realise how much they rocked until one day when I was sitting in a quiet lounge where there was a fish tank, and saw the waves in it, as the platform rocked... :wtf: :wtf: :wtf:

The ones you really have to feel for are the standby boats that sit out next to the platforms in all weather.. When I worked there in the mid 80s they were converted trawlers. They did 2 months on one month off.. Bugger that..

Archived