Ideas please.... foot pump in galley

SanFran

I have a black, circular (say 100mm) foot pump on the galley floor (ahem, sole?). I have a separate hand pump for fresh water to the sink, but there is another spout to the sink, that I cant find any use for... (poss sea water inlet?)

Now the aforementioned foot pump has two pipes off it ('in' and 'out' Im guessing... someone tell me Im smart, please). One goes several metres sternward, and ends in a 2-way metal T joiner (with nothing attached to these ends) which is under the port quarter berth. The other end well, just ends in under the sink area.

To add to the confusion theres an old fridge compresser unit with long tube thingy, thats not in use on port side (and likely to be ripped out at some later stage) so I dont know if the 2 way T connector went to that. It cant have gone o/board, (can it) by attaching to the engine raw water inlet (or part of the fridge system) - which has since been replaced???

Any ideas, or someone with similar situation, please.

I take it that you now have an electric pressure fresh system now ?

Old boats all had a foot pump for fresh water which has been made redundant ?

The good thing about about foot pumps was that you use alot less water if you have to pump it yourself and the hand pump would be salt usually to be used for rinsing etc

The long thing that is part of your old fridge system is the condenser. It would have seawater pumped through the jacket on the way to the engine. A salt water pump could have tapped off that loop.

I take it that you now have an electric pressure fresh system now ?

Old boats all had a foot pump for fresh water which has been made redundant ?

The good thing about about foot pumps was that you use alot less water if you have to pump it yourself and the hand pump would be salt usually to be used for rinsing etc

No, just the original hand pump to the sink. Yes, we are talking about an old girl here too.

Im just not sure what the T intersection would have linked to... I doubt if there would have been a fresh water hand pump and a fresh water foot pump to the same sink?

The long thing that is part of your old fridge system is the condenser. It would have seawater pumped through the jacket on the way to the engine. A salt water pump could have tapped off that loop.

Are you sure about that? I believe the sea water intake for the engine goes straight to the engine from the thru hull. If what I am assuming is the sea water T connection thing (to the foot pump) was pressurised, surely it wouldnt need the pump part (if the engine was running. I am knot sure what the condensor would have been connected to (if anything), but could be just part of the engine reticulation. Fridge doesnt work anyway.

Are you sure about that? I believe the sea water intake for the engine goes straight to the engine from the thru hull. If what I am assuming is the sea water T connection thing (to the foot pump) was pressurised, surely it wouldnt need the pump part (if the engine was running. I am knot sure what the condensor would have been connected to (if anything), but could be just part of the engine reticulation. Fridge doesnt work anyway.

The foot pump would just use the same through hull as the engine and refrigeration system. I'm pretty sure my condensor jacket is on the suction side of the engine cooling system. Tapping into this would just be to use the same sea water inlet.

Of course, if this is the case your foot pump would have been for sea water not fresh water.

I have a black, circular (say 100mm) foot pump on the galley floor (ahem, sole?). I have a separate hand pump for fresh water to the sink, but there is another spout to the sink, that I cant find any use for... (poss sea water inlet?)

Now the aforementioned foot pump has two pipes off it ('in' and 'out' Im guessing... someone tell me Im smart, please). One goes several metres sternward, and ends in a 2-way metal T joiner (with nothing attached to these ends) which is under the port quarter berth. The other end well, just ends in under the sink area.

To add to the confusion theres an old fridge compresser unit with long tube thingy, thats not in use on port side (and likely to be ripped out at some later stage) so I dont know if the 2 way T connector went to that. It cant have gone o/board, (can it) by attaching to the engine raw water inlet (or part of the fridge system) - which has since been replaced???

Any ideas, or someone with similar situation, please.

chances are that once upon a time it had a saltwater galley tap woring off that pump and the other branch of the tee fed the refridge condensor,

scenario1/ boat nearly sank due to fitting/ pump failure

scenario 2/ engine cooked thoroughly due to air drawn through either refridge or galley pump (all too common) and if the fridge is/ was 12volt then previous owner probably also got really pissed off at constantly replacing water pumps for the condensor as none of them are constantly rated....all the smoke leaks out is the usual problem

Answer........ reef it out and start fresh, oh and an engine water inlet is just that FOR THE ENGINE ONLY if you feel the need for a saltwater tap then feed it from elsewhere

Anyway of doing a safe salt water galley? The problem is you can't use a vented loop because it just sucks in air so you have to rely on the foot pump to stop the boat sinking.

Anyway of doing a safe salt water galley? The problem is you can't use a vented loop because it just sucks in air so you have to rely on the foot pump to stop the boat sinking.

Have a valve before the foot pump - a sold one that you can open and close with your foot

Archived