Where is the Kaipara Harbour?

Guest Rocket

The Kaipara starts at Helensville and basically stops at Dargaville, It has the largest coastline of any harbour in the Southern hemisphere.

To get into the Kaipara the channel starts approximately 10ks north of the actual entrance and you paralel the beach about 1 km off as you come inside the start of the bar which is another 1 km out until the entrance opens up to port. Only good to enter on the incoming tide with preferably less than 1m swell, have left on a 2 m swell but it is definitely more challenging.

at least the crew seem to be doing the right things...

Agree, heartening to see someone decline the helicopter and dig in to save the boat with what is still working.

Not a particularly helpful phase of weather for either cruising or the more demanding exercises like this... :thumbdown:

A Re What! and I thought I was giving some poor dum fuc a bit of useful info!

Apparently the oil tanker Kakariki is going to take them in tow sometime today, should be interesting as the Cheval de Mer looks like a Roberts "slocum" design" can't imagine a hull speed much over 7 knots.

They are still saying she has a broken mast, though from the photo's I would say it has a broken boom, the masts are still standing.

On a slightly-related note, it was pleasing to see one of the boats that was previously abandoned off the west coast and came ashore intact near Dargaville, tidied up and in the hands of new owners in the Bay of Islands this "summer". :thumbup:

tidied up and in the hands of new owners in the Bay of Islands this "summer".

That's real good to hear, but can you remind which day was summer?

It was just another one of those days when the sun made a momentary appearance and we sat there being pleased that we had stuck it out through the sh*t and were about to be rewarded with a spell of fine weather. Immediately thereafter the sh*t made its return. Sorry I can't remember the specific day, you will understand from the above that it could have been one of many.

Archived