Watering holes?

Vivaldi

Hi All,

We've just returned from our 1st cruise away on a yacht for about 15 years (things have changed :) )

I was wondering about were all the watering holes are nowadays and I'm sure there wil be heaps of collective knowledge here.

I know there is water at Matiatia and during our cruise we refilled at Coromandel wharf (which was a bit of a mission). Is there still water at Oropiu bay wharf at the bottom of Waiheke?

What about Rotoroa Island?

I'm sure we start a fairly comprehensive list here :D

Paul

We got drinking water from the firehose at the end of the Wharf at Oropiu bay the other day. I wasn't keen on the Coromandel Wharf one when we were there only because of the tides.

I seem to remember a thread a wee while back discussing this but I couldn't find it with a quick search.

I don't drink AC's tank water - its safe but no matter what I do it still tastes a bit odd. So every few weeks I buy a dozen mineral water bottles and use those for a few weeks by refilling from the marina water at GH. Then ditch them and start again. So my tank water is for washing only which reduces my concern a bit if filling up with slightly questionable water at a remote spot.

AC - considering the age of your boat there should be no taste from the tanks, more likely the taste is coming from the hoses, might be worth checking.

Well I refill the drinking water bottles from the same hose and it tastes perfect so I don't think it's that. It's not a biggie but I just prefer to not taste the faint tank taste.

Using drinking bottles is also good to keep track of how much water one is drinking cos being on a boat is more dehydrating and I often find I don't drink enough water when beer and rum are so handy! So giving everyone onboard a bottle each and advising them to drink at least 2 per day seems to work well.

We use a 0.5 micron domestic water filter on our main tap. It removes any residual taste and supposidly meant to remove any potential nasty bacteria. It tastes just like bottle water. I have tried the cheaper 1 micron standard filters but I can still taste the chlorine from the town supply.

We also carry bottle water for emergencies.

Archived